Non-Existing Conversions on New Ecommerce Site

Hi everyone. I am in need of some expert help. I have launched a new website on which I sell hammocks. I have a great score on most of the keywords for adwords (some even 10/10) and my prices are lower than those of the competition. However, I am spending a fortune on ads and I am not converting people. Click through is very high. Sometimes between 15-20% and I don’t have the impression that my ads are reflecting the contents of the site poorly. My site can be found at goo.gl/Vbo4f . My conversion rates are under 0.1% right now. Page is in Dutch.

The big red bar on the main page says: free shipping over Euro 100

Can anyone give me some insight? I am getting a bit desperate here, because Google is making me poor… :mad:

How much traffic are you bringing in per keyword that you’re testing?

How closely are you targeting keywords to your core product (i.e. ‘sleeping’ vs ‘hammock’ vs ‘Hangmat Currambera’)?

How much of your paid search traffic is from the right location (somewhere you sell / speak the language)?

What is the bounce rate on your paid visitors?

What is the add to cart vs cart completion rate for visitors?

How much traffic are you bringing in per keyword that you’re testing?
I have had about 6000 impressions with a CTR of 5% the last seven days on my top 5 adwords this week.

How closely are you targeting keywords to your core product (i.e. ‘sleeping’ vs ‘hammock’ vs ‘Hangmat Currambera’)?
I only use words like “hammock stand” “hammock chair” etc. “Hammock” I tried, but the competition on that word made it impossbile to afford.

How much of your paid search traffic is from the right location (somewhere you sell / speak the language)?
All of the traffic comes from the Netherlands. The ads are specifically targetted at Dutch shoppers.

What is the bounce rate on your paid visitors?
Bounce rate varies from campaing to campaign. For instance the ad “hangmat standaard” has a bouncerate of 33%. “hangmat” 27% and “hangstoel” 54%. babyhangmat 61

What is the add to cart vs cart completion rate for visitors?
add to cart vs completion is about 15%-20% (not all of the few sales we had were registered.

Thank you for taking your time to help me out. I really appreciate it.

Your funnel is a promising areas. Your basket to complete rates can reach 60% so you’ve got opportunity there to double up, but that won’t solve the 0.1% by a long shot.

Your bounce rates aren’t crazy and your traffic is targeted. All signs pointing to a decent audience.

Well it’s not an easy problem then. Boo!

Let’s talk about the business its self. How do you price versus competition? Is this a time of year when people would buy this product? Who else sells it online? Do they seem to be doing ok?

I’m going to suggest throwing out an interrupt survey to ask your visitors why they are on the site, what they are looking for and if they would buy a product online versus off. You seem to need a little more insight than analytics can give into what’s dragging you so far down.

After doing a quick view of your site, it seems fairly easy to navigate and easy to get to the shopping page. However, one thing I noticed (but didn’t go further with) is once I add an item to the cart and go to checkout, the first page asking me to create an account is not a secure page.

While I understand that it is not necessary to have the first page secure as not much confidential information is entered, there are many customers that are going to be turned away by that. Some feel that even submitting their name or email address on a page that isn’t secure is enough for them to go elsewhere. Also, if that page isn’t secure, the customer may not think any of the other pages (including payment page) are secure and will leave the site.

Assuring the customer that their information is safe and your site is secure could definitely help with converting more transactions. Also, depending on your SSL provider, adding the image/link they can click on that shows that the page is verified secure can add more legitimacy.

Just one thought …

@Ted_S
“How do you price versus competition?”
Right now we have hammocks from one of the major suppliers in Europe and they are basically fixed in price, which means that everyone who sells those hammock has to sell them for the recommended retail price. Our main competitors sell the same hammocks above the retail price. I’ll see if I can get some more customer insight, but I am hesitant to ask people things. I myself hate it when websites stalk me.

@LiquidReflex
Thats a good one. I’ll try that.

Thanks guys you are really being helpful. Hope you suggestions work.

After getting some more data it seems that customers aren’t putting anything in the basket. Most of them leave before they even reach the checkout screen. The ones that do put a product into a basket all go to the checkout procedure.
There is something wrong with products and the product page.