Non tech writing

It scares me, when I look at the world wide web , I see so many blogs, and websites writing about technology and related topics, makes me think if there is a market for non tech writing like if I want to write about dating , travel or television. Wonder if there is a market for such topics.

If I start a blog and write on such topics, how can I take it forward, in making it a source of income?

The chances of earning money online is not so easy through blogs as it was a few years back.

Yes, there is a market for tech news and tech writing as well.

There are many tech blogs which prosper online and earn some good revenue. Check what exactly they are doing, how they are engaging users and stuff.

There is also a very good market for dating, travel.

Check out flippa for websites related to dating which have been sold recently.

This will give you a good insight if dating websites have value or not.

Now, I wonder, if not through blogs, can we atleast earn bread and butter writing articles for company’s online? as an article writer, content writer?

Yes, you can definitely earn money if you start to provide some real value.

You should focus on quality if you are starting out in any industry and slowly money will start pouring in.

People always think about earning tons of money in the initial stages and that is why, most people don’t succeed.

Okay, Yeah tons of money does excite me, but for now, for the want of space in my house , I would rather be content with eeking out a living out of writing, :wink: Thanks for your advice.

Now having said that , what are my options If I want to write for someone else, any places where I can submit my articles? Can anyone please give me a few leads .

Thanks in advance.

[FONT=verdana]I would suggest you start by deciding what topics you feel comfortable writing about. Think about the subjects you are most familiar with, and - above all - those where you feel you have something interesting to say.

Once you’ve done that, take some time to get involved with the relevant communties. Become active in one or two forums that are concerned with your chosen topics, subscribe to blogs, and generally get to know the people involved - and get yourself known.

At that point, you’ll be in a good position either to publish your own articles or to submit your articles to other sites for publication. You will know which sites are the most useful, and you will be well placed for contacting bloggers, site operators, etc.

As for whether you can make money doing this, that’s debatable. If you can find a topic that is of interest to a lot of people, and if you do a good job of writing about it, then you do have a chance of picking up some extra income. But keep in mind that, if there is such a topic, the chances are that there will be many other people trying to exploit it.

Mike
[/FONT]

Pkwrite,

You are right, there are a lot of tech blogs out there. There are also a ton of blogs about everything else. Keep in mind that there is a market for virtually everything no matter how small the niche.

You asked about making money online with a blog. Yes you can do this but as Harrie mentions, it is an uphill battle. There is basically only one way to make money with a blog if you aren’t selling a product or service and that is to monetize it with advertising. In order to do that successfully, you have to develop a devout following and a lot of traffic in order to charge reasonably high advertising fees or make money with Adsense. In order to get a large following and a lot of traffic, you have to produce good content that people want to read. This means long hours of research, interviews with thought leaders, your own testing and hypothesis and in general a lot of hard work.

You asked about writing for online services. Yes there are a lot of these out there. There are sites that sell content to webmasters and they have articles that need to be written for any number of topics. Usually they pay around 3-7 dollars per article so if you hustle, you can potentially make a part time income. Some services pay more to more talented writers so you could potentially make a few hundred dollars per week if you did it 4-5 hours a day five days a week.

Here are some examples:
www.elance.com

www.thecontentauthority.com
Hope that helps,

Shawn

Threads like this are so depressing.

‘Can I make money from writing blog articles?’ someone asks. And, predictably, the usual replies roll in - ‘Yes, you can make $3 - $7 per article’, ‘Oh, it’s very difficult to make money’, ‘Try WasteOfTimeLance or PovertyPayLance’, ‘Join all the forums and become part of the community’, and so on.

Unfortunately there is NO worthwhile money to be made for the vast majority of people who start off with low expectations and try to sell cheap ‘articles’.

I don’t make $7 when I write something for a website. I wouldn’t bother opening my laptop for $7. I make thousands of dollars for writing content for a typical small to medium website. Plus more for periodic updates.

The difference is that I don’t hang around waiting for something to happen. I approach website owners directly and offer to write their website content. Not cheap little ‘articles’ for a blog that no one visits, but complete business websites full of content. Every page.

That’s where the money is. That’s how you can feed your family by writing for the web.

Like anything, it’s a skill, and you have to learn to do it right. It means working with the business owner to analyse the business, in particular from a customer’s point of view. You have to agree a set of business objectives for the website, and then plan a web content strategy to achieve the objectives. Finally you implement the strategy, researching and writing the content. There’s much more to it than that, of course, but that’s the bare bones.

It’s interesting. It’s reasonably satisfying. And it works.

Although I originally started, years ago, doing web design and content writing as a complete package, nowadays I often just go for the content writing. There are countless business websites out there which are visually and technically adequate, but have very poor content. Those are your paying customers, not penniless blog owners. But you have to go to them, they won’t come to you.

The OP was specifically interested in Dating, Travel and Television. Well, there are plenty of small Travel companies who don’t do a great job selling their holidays. There’s your first target market. Go out and grab them!

Moral of the story: think big, talk to the right people, and go where the money is. :slight_smile:

Paul

From what I have seen, there is a strong variety of blogs you can be on. You only find tech blogs because you are actively searching for them. There are a lot of blogs related to other topics such as dating and even television. You just have to find the niche.

Great advice Paul. I love this. It’s spot on.

Re: blogging, I also agree that it is such a wrong notion to think about earning when you are just starting. Do it as a hobby first.