Normalize.css vs resets

I know the difference between them but I don’t know which is more useful for me. I make websites that are compatible for IE6+. normalize.css recently came out so I’m not sure if it’s for modern browsers only, or is it helpful for cross compatibility for older browsers as well. So please tell me if it’ll be useful for me to use if I design sites for older browsers.

If you know CSS well, there’s no need for it. It’s just a style sheet by one designer and if you are a web designer yourself, then you should be able to create a style sheet yourself and know about common browser issues.

The problem with pre-defined style sheets, regardless of whether it’s one of the boilerplate stylesheets, Eric Meyer’s CSS reset, or this one, is that they’re all designed to include every possible scenario that may or may not be relevant to the site you’re designing, something you will never need for a single site. So, I’d say use the documentation in these style sheets to learn whatever you have not caught up with yet, and adapt whatever you feel is needed. I recommend against using these style sheets as a base, however, and utilize it as a reference instead.

The problem is that I don’t know CSS that well. I struggle with cross compatibility which is why I am using resets. I just want to know if this will be a better option. I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

Hadn’t heard of this one, but it’s claims and what it does don’t line up; it doesn’t even deal with the inconsistent paddings/margins and instead screws with a bunch of elements I’ve never once had a problem with. It’s more fat bloated idiocy akin to Meyer’s ‘reset reloaded’ instead of keeping it small and simple.

When a reset grows into a framework, it starts to defeat the purpose of using CSS in the first place, since, well… that’s what CSS frameworks do.

The best option is to do without. You say you don’t know CSS that well? How do you expect to learn when work is done for you? Personally, I’d much rather see you ask “why does this look different in browser x and browser y” and learn rather than set all to zero and never wonder.

As others have suggested just use resets as a guide and tailor them to suit you own needs. Normalise.css is well documented and if you spent a few hours working through the examples you would soon grasp which issues they address and whether you need to use the rule or not. In practice you need very few of these reset rules as some of the bugs are obscure or not really a big issue.

I’ve never been a fan of inserting large chunks of code into my pages especially if I do not understand what the rules are meant for because if something goes wrong it becomes very hard to fix if you haven’t built it yourself. If you were just designing one page and never designing another site then perhaps it would not be worth investing the time but if a job is worth doing its worth doing properly.:slight_smile: