Notepad++ possible encoding issue?

Does it present any problems if your text editor (Notepad++ in my case) insists on using ANSI encoding and keeps reverting files (any common format, HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.) to ANSI when they are opened, despite selecting the option to convert to UTF-8 without BOM and then saving them?

Will it be a problem for php.ini, robots.txt, sitemap.xml or .htaccess? I’ll have to upload all of these soon when I get server space arranged, but I think I read somewhere that at least some of these files must be UTF.

If it is a problem, how can I get Notepad++ to play ball? (Just updated to 5.1 - problem still persists. New file/save settings are set to Windows and UTF-8 without BOM).

If the file only contains standard ASCII then it doesn’t really hurt opening it as UTF-8 or not they are compatible. If you want it to always open as UTF-8 try adding some characters from the UTF-8 banks. For example I put these in a few of my files: … – — ‘ ’ “ ” or could just add “Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn” any where in a comment…something…

OK. That’s good. What about the server files?

They should be fine as long as you send them with the proper header.
Content-Type:mime-type-here;charset=utf-8

OK. Thanks.

Hello,

I’m also trying to workaround a problem in Notepad++.

When entering Tibetan text, it display blocks:

… while (most) other Unicode characters are displayed correctly.

I tried UTF-8 and UTF-8 without BOM. Tibetan is installed on my PC (I can see Tibetan text on web pages. In fact I’m copy pasting them from the web to Notepad++ as I did with the Chinese and Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn above).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!