November photo challenge- background removal

This month edwinedwin asked How to Standardize Our PicturesHe wanted information on removing backgrounds. Several of you told us how easy it is to do. This month’s photo challenge gives you the chance to show off your expertise.

Upload an original photo and then the photo with the background removed. Go ahead and add a different background if you like or leave the image on a white background. Have some fun!

If you don’t like the background sky in a photo because it was blown out or whatever, you can remove it and replace it with a “good sky” from another photo.

The after.jpg has the sky removed from the before.jpg and replaced with just a single solid colour.

[B]November photo challenge- background removal

[/B]

I suspect “challenge” might be a bit of a misnomer in this case.

Removing backgrounds, or any other elements in a photo, is relatively straight forward albeit it could be tedious and time consuming depending on the content and colours in the elements and whether the elements are contiguous or not. The basic process is to use the application’s various selection tools to select the photo elements you want to remove or edit.

To replace an element you just select it, remove it and then fill the void with a solid colour or with part of another image by placing the replacement element in a layer below the layer you are working on.

I love working in photoshop and playing with layers and blending modes. I combined three photos for the final image. The first thing I do before I begin any type of photo manipulation is to create a copy image to work on so if I mess it up, I still have the original.

I removed the background behind before1 by using the magic wand tool for a large selection, deleted most of the background, then used the eraser tool to define the edges. There’s probably better ways to remove a background, but I like doing detail work. After removing the background from before1, I inserted before2 photo under before1 in the layers palette, and then inserted before3 photo on top of before2. I set the blending mode on before3 to hard light, which visually merges the two layers so they look like one. I also did some shading with the burn tool to create shadows on before2 around the guy so the final image looks more realistic.

Great work! You actually changed him from sitting on the box to sitting on the bench! I love the graffiti background, too! Wow! Thanks, also, for the detailed explanation of how you did it. That’s what I was hoping to see here this month!

wow from the heart…I didn’t realize a more creative approach was attenable inspired me thnx

What programs are you guys using for this?

Please read thread before posting.

I have.

That is one person.
There are plenty of other photo editing programs out there apart from photoshop.

Maybe your comments would be more constructive if they were aimed at assisting others on the forum?

Yes. One person out of two who submitted photo manipulations to this month old thread.
You might find more help by creating your own thread in the design forum and asking everyone, rather than addressing a very specific question in a month old unrelated thread.

Thank you for your feedback

p.s. This thread had not been posted in for 15 days, it was not a month old. That should classify this as an active thread.

Hey loved that pic of you on the sitting on that bench…its really creative and even with the naked eyes i cant see the difference. I would like to learn this from you. keep up the good work…

You are correct, if the thread were closed, you wouldn’t be able to post here. However, to all participants here – please do try to keep the thread on-topic. If you have an argument with another member, please take it outside.

From our FAQs/rules:

Friendly debate is fun and helpful,. Disputes aren’t, and should kept private. If you think that someone is being disrespectful to you, or that others may be affected, please report the offensive post. Use the ‘flag post’ button.