Now bloggers need a $300 business license

Maybe is not their fault(aldo i wouldn’t use Opera either); maybe you have few space on your hard disk, to law virtual memory.

That’s ridiculous…$300 for what? New regular/bloggers won’t even earn that for 2 years.

If the internet becomes regulated it will be destroyed by the latest version of Internet Explorer. :smiley:

I have no question that “virtual” businesses both require and deserve some sort of regulation. People say the web is like the wild west. I always tell them it’s the wild west without the morality! As much as I loathe regulation, a degree is just prudent; being “above the law” just because we choose to conduct our business virtually is little more than exploitation of a loophole really.

That said, a site that shows profit being charged like 4 times the amount of a brick and mortar business for ‘licensing’ when there is virtually 0 support and almost no rights/responsibilities associated with said licensing - that’s just a plainly insane and unjustifiable cash grab. How you say…usury?

If you’re gonna start slapping up rules, they can’t be totally arbitrary and based just on the whims of people “in power”. Power is really a confidence game, not a good idea to shatter the confidence of the people (because it’s your source of “power”).

I even asked Carnac the Magnificent about this.
“Charging ‘blog’ owners $300/year for something the gov’t calls ‘licensing’ so it sounds legitimate.”
“What is…a ridiculously poor idea?”

That seems a little crazy, no way, way too crazy. But in the end, that looks like it applies to people who professionally blog for profit and maybe not the casual blogger ?

Or am I reading it wrong?

I know people that blog as a business and actually pay a local business license fee, which is related to this fee. They either have it that high to discourage people from doing it or to make money themselves.

But if they are doing it as a business and claiming taxes, business expenses and more, it is probably justified, but still steep in my opinion

The amount of $300 is too much. Governments should not make money doing any thing.If the news is true, it is unfortunate.

Interesting, but the thing I would say is that because blogging takes place virtually (and therefore does not take up any amount of physical space as the computer itself would not likely be dedicated for business use along - which makes it a personal asset being also used professionally through a virtualized environment) the rules on licensing do not apply whatsoever. In the UK we have similar rules on physical workspaces having to meet certain requirements (like health and safety) but there’s no business licensing like that, and as I conduct all of my business through the web, no physical space is used (as my computer is jointly used for personal and business ventures) I don’t even qualify to the requirement of meeting standardized workplace requirements. I guess it’s lucky that I don’t live in the USA then! :slight_smile:

I think the issue was she was earning a small amount of money (which turned it into a business in the eyes of those individuals). :slight_smile: