Object oriented CSS uses, and learning as a newbie

Wwow I didnt expect such a reaction to her video:). While watching it yesterday I thought this was the new way to code css, so thats why I thought I would ask here, seems you guys soundly reject her ideas. Whats interesting though reading posts from variuos web developers on blogs and reponse to her video, they seem to think its a preety good way to code, Oh well back to learning:).

“Tcha, you know what?! Uh-Uh!”

They were probably getting paid to say it was ‘good advice’ or just fluff posts. The type of fluff the Mentors usually REPORT and flag on a daily basis.

OOCSS may be a interesting concept for some regarding ‘reusability’. Though by the sounds of things this video was badly produced (and gave bad advice). If that code example in anything to go by… I don’t even want to dare think about what the video was like. But from the posts above it sounded complete and utter drivel.

The content model for div is flow, which mean either inline either block. And no, the validator doesn’t catch that

Of course it doesn’t. Flow doesn’t mean “must all be inline OR must all be block”. It’s not technically illegal to mix the two in a block container, so the validator shouldn’t say anything about it (just as it doesn’t complain about bad class names or divitis).

It’s just considered a general bad practice by some AND can cause the duplicate content bug (and some other bugs) in IE < 8.

So I don’t have access to video right now, but this is Nicole Sullivan? Yes, she’s been pushing this “OOCSS” thing for a while, and there are some big names in the web development industry who really like the idea of LESS and SASS (mostly programmers who are also front-enders and would like to get some of the benefits of programming in a NON-programming language like CSS).

She’s in no way considered any kind of a hack in the industry, I know that.

That said, I’ve always horribly disagreed with her Sass site and the whole idea of OOCSS. But, maybe that’s because the way I write CSS would get little benefit from such a system.

She has been a speaker at the Fronteer’s Congress in the past I believe.

I just saw, in the screenshot Noonope posted, Stoyan Stefanov’s name as well as Nicole’s. He’s at least very knowledgeable about JS and browser loading/blocking. Another name I would not call a hack.

But the type of garbage code they use with OOCSS… maybe that’s what it’s for, the garbage HTML the likes of Facebook and just about every CMS push out. In which case, I can see where/why it would make ANY CSS-ing dev’s life easier.

I’d so rather not have to work with bad bloated markup like that.

This makes me say: Jason and samanime and Stomme and Robert are right. Mitică is (possibly ) wrong.

Lawlz, but you never know.

I say, we round up the spec writers, tie em to a chair under a flickering light bulb and grill them.

^ :rofl:

For the sake of SPF, don’t make me start all over !!!

The problem I see with her presentation about OOCSS and HTML “objects” is that:

The cascading in CSS is already designed for productivity. HTML needs to be flexible and it can’t be thought in “objects” but in elements. And it’s not even original. This is what HTML5 tries to do with elements like header, footer, article, nav, aside etcetera.

Her idea of productivity is to just ignore the power of cascade and cripple down both CSS and HTML.

Yay.

Back on topic, being someone who uses OO religiously in many (though not all) cases, I can see the simple beauty of what they’re busy. However… the simple part can be a problem.

If you are a huge company, like Facebook, I could understand wanting to have a site that can be maintained by less skilled people, though at the same time… I’d want to be training those people and making them better. It’s like making a car that has snap together parts so you can have less educated mechanics. I’d still want to train them to be able to work on real cars too. =)

When it comes to CSS, I’m also one of those that avoids frameworks like the plague. Re usability is nice, but it’d take me just as long to pick out which things I wanted to use from my re usability pull and clear out the rest than it would to rewrite them from scratch.

This is especially true in the case of CSS because most of the re-usable blocks are super simple and generic (.red, .bold, .underline, etc), since complex blocks are by their nature not very re-usable, since they’re tailored to a specific element.

Regarding the teaching and less skilled people, I think she covers that in this video. I dont think necesarly they are less skilled people, she talks about training them and teaching them oocss, and helping them maintain the css in a more efficient way.

Stubbornella » Blog Archive » Object Oriented CSS video on YDN

[On Original Topic]
You know, all the going back and forth, I think I will watch this video this weekend and reserve my judgement until then. Just watching a few minutes of it (before they actually gets to the CSS itself) and I am still in agreement with her.

Also Stormrider, nice example.

Thread split due to off topic comments and new conversation can be carried on over here.