Official PHP Framework appears: YAF

In the form of a PECL extension. Currently min PHP 5.1.2, so no 5.3 bells.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.yaf.php

Some current HN discussion can be found here http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3195690

How does this impact the framework landscape for you?

Is this appearing just a bit too late?

Will it move from PECL to core (as many things have over the years? PEAR->PECL->Core)?

Had you seen this coming?

Are the comparisons made with ZF (on HN) fair?

Are you going to try it?

Is this actually ‘official’? I guess if it is, it’s probably a variant on ZF?

Had a quick look, seems quite interesting. Especially the claims in the topic you posted that it’s 10% slower than pure PHP and much much faster than any other framework. I like fast things!

Will I be using it? Nah, don’t think so. I’m loving Lithium too much :slight_smile:

First, let me start off by saying that this is a PECL extension, whether that makes it “official” or not depends on your take on that word. The PHP folks aren’t going to start demanding that everyone stop using their current framework(s) of choice and switch to yaf. It is just a framework, written as a PHP extension which has been added to PECL. Anyone else could do the same and we’d accept theirs too.

For me, it has negligible impact. I probably will never use it in anger, but it’s interesting to look at.

Too late for what? There’s still plenty of scope for new frameworks to make a name for themselves.

No. Never. (I hope.) :x

Yep, but only because I follow this type of thing closely.

Sure, the developer himself mentions the connection between the two frameworks. Hopefully people won’t get the impression that yaf is zend framework written in C.

Only to poke and prod, to make some “hello world” examples. Just like with any other new framework. (:

Well I never.

And the reason they seemingly never have then would have been the time/energy/commitment to convert the code to C then?

Else what other reasons?

Ok, NOT BAD!

But i still prefere scriptcase, have you tried it?