On Our Radar: Getting Started, Clean Code and the Next Wikipedia

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/radar-getting-started-cleaning-code-devlogs/
This week we realised computers make very fast and accurate mistakes. So while to err is human, to really screw things up you need a computer.

On our radar:

And with mistakes in mind, noted team SitePoint member Tom brings up a very good point – nobody is born learning how to program. Which is disappointing, y’all, because it would be easier if we learned how to code and read at the same time. Do you think it matters at what age we begin learning?

I think it’s important to at least have a grasp of logic in order to program, because it can be confusing as n_merciano found out. He needs advice on keeping his HTML and CSS code cleaner (help a fellow coder out, no one likes unsightly code).

The most inventive and spectacular use of the forums goes to OzRamos, who uses the forums as a devlog documenting Stemlet. Don’t know what Stemlet is yet? Get familiar with that name, because it’ll be the next Wikipedia.

In short:

We put our best investigative hats on and hunted down duplicates in Informix, a database that doesn’t play nice with modern SQL.

Chrisofarabia and Patrick had a mini meet-up at SXSW and we’re surprised the universe didn’t explode from two brilliant minds coming together.

SitePoint Ruby editor ruprict wants to know which Ruby topics you want to read about in the future. Add to our brains trust and give him some ideas :slight_smile:

This week in .NET, cpradio wants to know if you have your ticket to StirTrek. Meanwhile, there were a lot of goodbyes this week in Javascript, with us farewelling Google Code and eventually IE8.

Now it’s your turn:

Check out the forums as we head into yet another week, and you may very well find yourself the star of next week’s “On Our Radar”. You might also find yourself winning a PowerBank just by participating in our live Q&A session this Tuesday, 24th of March, with Microsoft Evangelist Andrew Coates. We’ll kick off talking all things Azure Mobile Systems.
Continue reading this article on SitePoint

3 Likes

Whoa thanks for the mention Jasmine!

1 Like

I also love Jasmine !, thank you very much

No quite sure if I like being on the list but if I find the answer to my question, don’t worry, I’ll post it. I thought I had it on Friday… It was close though

Hey @molona I can take you off it if you have an objection to it. Would you mind telling me why you don’t want to be on this list? You can PM me if you prefer.

Nah, it is just that I feel a bit embarrased because it is taking me so long… That query is driving me crazy and I’m not used to it. Although on my defense I can say that I’m trying to find the solution that problem while solving 10-20 small fires per day :smiley:

IMHO nothing to be embarrassed about,

That is one crazy query and makes my head spin just looking at it let alone trying to solve the problem with it.

1 Like

That’s nothing to be embarassed about! Sometimes solutions take a while for us to work. It’s not a reflection of you at all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.