On Our Radar This Week: Monolithic Frameworks and Firefox OS

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/on-our-radar-this-week-monolithic-frameworks-and-firefox-os/

Welcome to On Our Radar, a weekly round-up of news, trends and other cool stuff from the world of web development.

This week, Microsoft’s relations with Google continued to deteriorate, as Google’s Security team disclosed three new bugs in Windows before Microsoft was able to patch them. Microsoft had already criticized Google claiming that the search giant’s behavior needlessly endangers customers, while in a bizarre turn of events, it was announced that Google won’t fix a bug affecting 60 percent of Android phones.

Elsewhere ShipYourEnemiesGlitter.com, a service that anonymously delivers an envelope chock-full of glitter to someone you hate (or, to someone who really likes glitter), was making headlines. As the site went viral, the 22-year-old entrepreneur behind the scheme begged people to stop using it. He then cashed in his chips and put the site up for sale on Flippa.

And finally Mark Zuckerberg entered the office with the launch of the ‘Facebook At Work’ pilot, meaning that the social network responsible for sucking up hours of your working day may soon be one of your company’s critical productivity tools.

Frameworks – Where Do You Stand?

I’ve been on the fence about JavaScript frameworks for a while now, so it was with some interest that I read an opinion piece by Peter-Paul Koch (of QuirksMode fame) citing the problem with AngularJS. The article generated quite a lot of debate in a comment thread on Hacker News, which is also worth checking out.

Continue reading this article on SitePoint

As a follow up to the articles on Swift, I saw this today: Developing iOS 8 Apps with Swift
It’s free on iTunes.

Course Description
Updated for iOS 8 and Swift. Tools and APIs required to build applications for the iPhone and iPad platforms using the iOS SDK. User interface design for mobile devices and unique user interactions using multi-touch technologies. Object-oriented design using model-view-controller paradigm, memory management, Swift programming language. Other topics include: animation, mobile device power management, multi-threading, networking and performance considerations.

Prerequisites: C language and object-oriented programming experience exceeding Programming Abstractions level, and completion of Programming Paradigms.

Recommended: UNIX, graphics, databases.

And here’s more on CSS4 selectors: CSS Level 4 Selectors to Watch Out For
I can’t wait to be able to do some of this stuff in my regular projects.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, some of those selectors, such as :has, will only be usable via JS, it seems. :frowning:

1 Like

That’s a pity, that was one of the ones I was most enthusiastic about.
But I don’t see that in the article I posted. Where did you read that?

Amid all the excitement about Level 4 selectors, the message has been slow to get around that there are two “profiles” within the spec, “fast” and “complete”. Only those in the fast profile will be usable like regular CSS (that is, in style sheets), but the :has selector is only included in the complete profile, which means it will only be usable like has() in jQuery.

There are some good discussions on this on Stack Overflow, but this is the latest mention I’ve seen: https://grack.com/blog/2015/01/11/css-selectors-4/

1 Like

Yes its a shame and something people have been asking about since day 1 but browser makers don’t want to implement it for speed reasons mostly.

Yeah, CSS’s handling of parent selectors would be entirely different of Javascript.

Javascript runs AFTER the DOM is loaded. CSS has to figure everything out during the load…going BACK over what has been loaded already and seeing if the CSS (parent selector) can be applied…it’s quite cumbersome. That’s why IE took so long to get last-child. It’s not as simple as it looks.

Javascript benefits in the fact it can work after the DOM is loaded; CSS can’t.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.