One domain on Windows and Linux Server

Hi guys, please forgive my ignorance, I hope this is the right place to post…
Heres the story. I have had my domain hosted on a Windows server for over a year, recently I installed Joomla and within a few minutes I started to get permission errors. Being the type of person that I am I tried to solve this myself, yes I do find these things interesting :slight_smile:

Anywho… after a while I learnt that Windows servers on this host did not have the libraries or the ability to host Joomla…

I called the host and they promtply informed me to upgrade to a multiple host service, which I did.

Now I am confused, I have two dns name servers pointing to the same domain. But can only use one at a time. In the domain control panel I have a choice to point my domain to a “windows” server or “linux” …

In my ignorance I left it as it was and still I could not install Joomla. So I changed the option and pointed my domain to the Linux server… everthing worked.

My simple question is… why did they sell me both servers and not just linux.
How can I make use of both servers at the same time.
Or is this just a way for the host to make money from “all be it ignorant” but honest people like myself?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

It’s nice to see such an active forum, i’m lost at what I should really do… however, I did take a moment to look at the win.sitename. server and it is showing old data. It would be nice to figure out how to sync the data so that incase of server outage I could point it to the win server (as you said). looked around in the control panel can’t find anything about syncing… can’t even ftp into the win server when the domain is pointed to the linux one…
here’s a screenshot of the domain cp… (only if you are interested…)

Interesting… back to playing around (hope I don’t break anything) :slight_smile:

Oops, sorry about the very large image… I really thought it would be smaller… sorry…

In redundant setup, the servers sync data across so that the updated data is available everywhere. In your case, you would be able to setup a backup site so that you can point your site to windows server in case the lynx server just crashes but the redundant setup wouldn’t be an easy to setup in this scenario.

You should just get the windows plan canceled and refunded if permitted.

My simple question is… why did they sell me both servers and not just linux.

Because you didn’t ask. That’s just the way sales people are. :slight_smile:

How can I make use of both servers at the same time.

If you don’t have anything which requires the windows hosting, and you didn’t prepay for it, I would just stop paying for it if I were you.

Now, if you prepaid for it I would try to skip over the customer service people and get right to a manager. Explain what happened, and that you would rather stop the Windows hosting and keep the Linux hosting going. If they give you a hard time, tell them they can either squeeze you for a couple of bucks now, or have you renew your hosting when your contract is up and see what they say.

Or is this just a way for the host to make money from “all be it ignorant” but honest people like myself?

Nobody with any common business sense will volunteer to stop providing you a service. You have to figure out what it is you need/want, and tell them what you want them to do. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your informative reply Zarvixie, the thing is though, what exactly can I do with the now redundant Windows server.
I mean now, I have have two urls win.sitename. and lnx.sitename.
with the the domain name pointing to the linux server.

I don’t even know what I am able to do with the Windows server now… any suggestions or should I just cancel it? it seems if I keep it I am just waisting money???

Thanks again for your kind reply.

Joomla works on Windows too but it would run seamlessly on Linux so Linux would be preferable for it. On Windows the permissions setup is much different than Linux and it causes issues most of the time. If it was just a permission error then it can be fixed but as you said the unavailability of required modules can cause this issue.

As you have a Windows and Linux account so if you do not have any specific requirement for Windows, you can cancel it. It truly depends how you want the accounts to be used.