One word domain - .info or .org?

Hi,

I am considering buy a .info or .org domain name. Both are available for the single word.

www.Valuate.com say the .info is worth $70 and the .org is worth $200.

Though I am thinking the .info is a better name? I thought .org was for organisations (offering free services, that sort of thing).

Which do you think is best? .info or .org?

Matt.

That was the original intention, although the restriction no longer applies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.org I still think it would be an odd extension to choose, unless it’s for some kind of organisation, so I’d go with .info.

Off Topic:

Didn’t we cover very similar ground recently in your other thread?

The other post was similar - this is .org and .info the other post was .com and .info.

As I said in my original post, I agree, .info sounds better. Just thought it was odd that evaluate.com say the .org is more valuable?!

Matt.

I’m not sure how an automated algorithm can accurately assess the relative values of two domains. Surely the choice of domain is influenced by the type of site you intend to use it for and the target audience? Most of my domains are aimed at a UK audience and are .co.uk. They perform very nicely - but valuate says the couple I tested are worthless. :slight_smile: I’d rather trust my own judgment for business decisions, rather than that of a bot.

.org is usually associated with non profit organizations, open source programs & charities. .info ( informational ) domain is used for sharing information. But .org ranks easily & quickly like .com domain. So if you want quick ranking then .org is a best option.

Hi Matt,

You can always use .org for business purposes, although it is much better to use .com or meet for a commercial website. I don’t like using .info as a primary domain for any dot com business activity. It is better to check whether any national TLD like .US, .CA, CO.UK, .EU (regional) or any other is vacant and available for registration.

org stands for organization and info (stands for information ) is spamy domain name because it’s cheap (cost about $2). I personally prefer .net (stands for internet) domain name.

So you must decide it your site will be about an organization, company, information or internet (or what ever else - we have new tld :slight_smile:

Go with the info, sounds better, and in plus it`s cheaper!

Really comes down to what you’re wanting to use it for. For me .info really suits sites providing information rather than commerce, it does also tend to be the spammers choice along with .biz :frowning:

Having said that, I do use a .info for a person site - but it is a local informational site.

I’m totally agree. Today, you can choose any kind of domain. And it’s not influet your ranking, as you can see for scoop.it or spring.me
By the way, I don’t like neither .info nor .org…

I had no luck with promoting, doing SEO job for a .info site, so I would go with the .org although it costs more.

This topic is from February, so I imagine the OP has long-since made a decision and bought a domain.