Online Web Design & Web Development courses

Udemy is one awesome site. Found it on slickdeals with the famous TINTIN coupon. It has top courses for free and now with certificates for all courses, complementing course has yet another incentive.

Being sort of still in the beginner stage, I am looking for coding classes which you learn by doing. Not videos or webinars.
We found a small on-line school earlier where we had PDF lessons, and a forum for the students, where we could communicate as we worked and ask questions of the instructor or each other.
Sadly they went out of business.

We found that if we wrote the code ourselves following the instructions, that we retained it a lot better than looking at videos. (Though I do love the Lynda videos for photoshop, and www.ed2go.com for photoshop.)
This is what we are looking for.

I must say I am impressed with the list of great links here, will go thru them carefully. A thank you for this list, and I will pass them on to my classmates. We are retirees who use photoshop and are learning to make our own sites.
Is it OK for me to show you the URL of an example of what I like to create, picture galleries are a favourite of our group?

Thank you.

I want to open up a discussion about web development online learning sites and want to know what people think of them in general and what ones they recommend.

I am currently a member of Learnable and so far it has been pretty good. I would say the selection of e-books alone is more than worth the price of membership. The video courses are good but I’m finding one in particular hard to follow and understand but I think that’s just my learning ability. The great benefit of Learnable is that you can access the content on multiple devices and backtrack back through content to re-watch or re-read which is excellent. I would recommend Learnable just for the books alone.

I have been considering purchasing a membership for Team Tree House as I’ve heard nothing but good things and I really want to make the most out of my online learning. I can’t comment much else on these guys until I dive in and see what they have to offer.

Others which consider merit would be Codecademy as it has a lot of great free resources and steps you through the basics fairly well. The downside is that because it’s free the content and resources lack the polish and depth that paid for sites offer.

Finally there’s Code School and [URL=“https://tutsplus.com/”]Tuts+ Premium. I know very little about both of these except that they offer a lot of content. I’d be interested in hearing what people in the community think about all of the above and even ones I haven’t mentioned.

In case anyone is looking for computer programming (specifically how to use the JavaScript language for drawing and animations) in a very simplified & fun way, I just ran across a section for computer programming on www.khanacademy.com . It’s easy enough for a child to use in order to learn JavaScript & it’s free. I’ll check out the other sites that you listed above. Thanks for all of the information. It’s nice to be able to get recommendations from people that are actually using the sites as opposed to someone who just posts a link they found.

Thanks everyone.

If anyone has any resources, please contact a Staff member to have them added to the appropriate Sticky.

Thread Closed