OOP in JS

I am looking to expand my JS code understanding down the path of OOP and I had some questions not only about performance but style.

To give an example, my Developer Tools: Dialog script (on userscripts.org) creates what is referred to as a singleton–a single instance that in this case can only be referenced under the “devtools.dialog” name. It is called (regardless of the script) by calling “devtools.dialog.method();”. Once that method is called, it stores the ID that was used into an array.

The problem is this:
Let’s say Script 1 calls the method and the ID is stored into that array. Script 2 calls the method and the ID is stored in the same array as Script 1. When Script 1 looks at the array, it sees the IDs from when it called the method but also from when Script 2 called the method.

What I would like to do:
Each script should be able to make a new instance (therefore having multiple instances) which is self-contained with only that instances settings.

From what I have looked at so far, I could do something like this which would allow for multiple instances, private variables/methods and of course public variables/methods:

// Define namespace.
if (typeof Container == 'undefined') {
	Container = {};
}

// Set up the constructor.
Container.MyPlugin = function () {
	// Private settings for this instance.
	var settings = [...];

// Privelaged function to get private settings.
	// From my understanding, this is added to memory with every instance. More instances = more functions added to memory.
	this.getSettings = function () {
		return settings;
	}
};

// Public function for the plugin. Can't access the private settings, must use privelaged method.
// From my understanding, this is added to memory only once no matter how many instances are made.
Container.MyPlugin.prototype.doSomething = function () {
	// Some code here.
};

// First instance.
var plugin = new Container.MyPlugin();
// Second instance, which means completely seperate settings.
var plugin2 = new Container.MyPlugin();

plugin.settings; // private...undefined
plugin.getSettings(); // privelaged...returns array
plugin.doSomething(); // public...can't access private stuff

Are there any better/more efficient ways of doing this type of thing? The above example wasn’t tested, it is just so I can get a better understanding while making it as simple as possible.

I can’t see anything wrong in your approach.

If you are really worried about your functions being defined inside your ‘constructor’ consuming more memory I could only really see dropping the concept of keeping access to them as private. How many instances are you going to create of these objects that memory would be a concern?

I guess it depends what is more important, lowering memory usage or preventing other code from accessing data private to that object. In your example the other functions defined in the objects prototype like ‘doSomething()’ won’t be able to access the settings variable directly either (not like some other OO languages), they will have to use the getSettings() function like everything else.