Optgroup Values - hold them in a separate file

Hello all, hope you are well and keeping fit (new years resolutions and all). I have recently purchased the perfect push-up and it is great.

My drop down uses an <optgroup label> facility (6 optgroup categories, many values per category).

<optgroup label="1">
<option value="this"><option value="that">
</optgroup>

<optgroup label="2">
<option value="this2"><option value="that2">
</optgroup>

e.t.c.

This works fine (when the user chooses a category from the first drop down, a second drop down menu refreshes with the values for that category).

HOWEVER, the above system requires me to have every VALUE in plain text on every page. This is no good. It is affecting how the search engines view my page (the text cache version).

I want to store these values in a separate file so the search engines do not cache all the values as content on every page.

Does that make sense?

You could store the values in an object (JSON) and pull the information from there. Alternatively you could use Ajax, but that has the disadvantage of making the user wait for the next set of options to be downloaded, unless you design it in such a way that it’s not necessary (e.g. make the request when the dropdown is clicked rather than when it a selection is made).

The obvious disadvantage of all of this is that your SELECT element will not work if JavaScript is disabled.

What you say about search engines seems a bit odd - I’ve never seen a search engine show me the contents of SELECT elements. If you could provide an sample of what they show, that might help.

of course. here is a text only version of my homepage (as viewed by a search bot).
the actual website is http://www.londonheathrowcars.com/

London Heathrow Cars | Heathrow Airport Transfers | Private Hire Cab Service | London UK TEL: +44 20 8814 2727 UK FREEPHONE: 0800 505 3231 HOME | SITE MAP | CONTACT Travelling to or from Heathrow Airport? Search by: London Postcode London Area Name London Station UK City UK Airport UK Seaport EC1EC2EC3EC4WC1WC2W1W2W3W4W5W6W7W8W9W10W11W12W13W14SW1SW2SW3SW4SW5SW6SW7SW8SW9SW10SW11SW12SW13SW14SW15SW16SW17SW18SW19SW20N1N2N3N4N5N6N7N8N9N10N11N12N13N14N15N16N17N18N19N20N21N22NW1NW2NW3NW4NW5NW6NW7NW8NW9NW10NW11E1E2E3E4E5E6E7E8E9E10E11E12E13E14E15E16E17E18SE1SE2SE3SE4SE5SE6SE7SE8SE9SE10SE11SE12SE13SE14SE15SE16SE17SE18SE19SE20SE21SE22SE23SE24SE25SE26SE27SE28WD3WD4WD5WD6WD7WD17WD18WD19WD23WD24WD25SL0SL1SL2SL3SL4SL5EN1EN2EN3EN4EN5HP1HP2HP3HP4HP5HP6HP7HP8HP9CR0CR2CR3CR4CR5CR6CR7CR8CR9TW1TW2TW3TW4TW5TW6TW7TW8TW9TW10TW11TW12TW13TW14TW15TW16TW17TW18TW19TW20DA1DA2DA3DA4DA5DA6DA7DA8DA9DA10DA11DA12DA13DA14DA15DA16DA17DA18TN14TN16KT1KT2KT3KT4KT5KT6KT7KT8KT9KT10KT11KT12KT13KT14KT15KT16KT17KT18KT19IG1IG2IG3IG4IG5IG6IG7IG8IG9IG10IG11HA0HA1HA2HA3HA4HA5HA6HA7HA8HA9RM1RM2RM3RM4RM5RM6RM7RM8RM9RM10RM11RM12RM13RM14RM15RM16RM17RM18RM19RM20SM1SM2SM3SM4SM5SM6SM7BR1BR2BR3BR4BR5BR6BR7BR8UB1UB2UB3UB4UB5UB6UB7UB8UB9UB10TN1TN2TN3TN4TN5TN6TN7TN8TN9TN10TN11TN12TN13TN14TN15TN16TN17TN18TN19TN20TN21TN22TN23TN24TN25TN26TN27TN28TN29TN30TN31TN32TN33TN34TN35TN36TN37TN38TN39TN40 Abbey WoodActonAddingtonAddlestoneAldburyAldenhamAldgateAldwychAmershamAngelArchwayAscotAshfordAshtedBalhamBankBansteadBarbicanBarkingBarkingsideBarnesBarnetBatterseaBayswaterBeaconsfieldBeckenhamBecktonBecontreeBedmondBelgraviaBelmontBelsize ParkBelvedereBermondseyBerrylandsBethnal GreenBexleyBexleyheathBlackfriarsBlackheathBlackwallBloomsburyBorehamwoodBowBrentBrent CrossBrentfordBrixtonBrockleyBromleyBrondesburyBrook GreenBuckhurst HillBusheyCamberwellCamdenCamden TownCanary WharfCanning TownCanonburyCarshaltonCaterhamCatfordChadwell HeathChalfont St GilesCharing CrossCharltonCheamChelseaChelsfieldCheshamChessingtonChingfordChipperfieldChislehurstChiswickClaphamClapham CommonClapham JunctionClapham NorthClaptonClayhallClerkenwellCockfostersCoulsdonCovent GardenCowleyCrayfordCrews HillCricklewoodCrouch EndCroxley GreenCroydonCrystal PalaceCudhamDagenhamDartfordDeptfordDocklandsDollis HillDulwichEalingEarls CourtEast BedfontEast DulwichEast FinchleyEast HamEast SheenEastcoteEdgwareEdgware RoadEdmontonEdmonton LowerEghamElephant & CastleElm ParkElthamEmbankmentEmerson ParkEnfieldEnfield TownErithEsherEustonEuston SquareEwellFarleighFarnham CommonFarninghamFarringdonFelthamFinchleyFinchley RoadFinsburyFinsbury ParkFitzroviaFleet StreetFootscrayForest GateForest HillFriern BarnetFulhamGants HillGidea ParkGolders GreenGravesendGraysGrays InnGreen ParkGreenfordGreenwichGreenwich ParkHackneyHadley WoodHainaultHamHammersmithHampsteadHamptonHampton WickHanwellHarefieldHaringeyHarlingtonHarmondsworthHarold HillHarold WoodHarrowHarrow on HillHartleyHattonHaveringHavering-Atte-BowerHayesHaymarketHemel HampsteadHendonHerne HillHershamHestonHighburyHighgateHillingdonHolbornHolland ParkHollowayHomertonHonor OakHooleyHornchurchHornseyHounslowHounslow WestHoxtonHyde ParkHyde Park CornerIckenhamIlfordIsle Of DogsIsleworthIslingtonKenleyKenningtonKensal GreenKensal RiseKensingtonKentish TownKentonKestonKewKidbrookeKilburnKings CrossKingsburyKingstonKingston Upon ThamesKingston ValeKnightsbridgeLadbroke GroveLambethLancaster GateLangleyLeicester SquareLeverstock GreenLewishamLeytonLeytonstoneLimehouseLiverpool StreetLondon BridgeLondon WallLongfordLoughtonMaida ValeManor ParkMarble ArchMaryleboneMayfairMeophamMertonMill HillMitchamMoleseyMonumentMoorgateMordenMortlakeMottinghamMuswell HillNeasdenNew CrossNew MaldenNewbury ParkNewhamNorbitonNorth ActonNorburyNorth CrayNorth FinchleyNorth OckendonNortholtNorthwoodNorwood GreenNorwood UpperNoting Hill GateNotting HillOld Oak CommonOld StreetOlympiaOrpingtonOsterleyOxford CircusOxford StreetPaddingtonPalmers GreenPark LanePark RoyalParsons GreenPeckhamPengePentonvillePerivalePiccadillyPiccadilly CircusPiccotts EndPimlicoPinnerPlaistowPlumsteadPonders EndPoplarPotters BarPoylePrimrose HillPurfleetPurleyPutneyQueens ParkQueenswayRainhamRavenscourt ParkRaynes ParkRedbridgeRegents ParkRichmondRichmond ParkRichmond Upon ThamesRoehamptonRomfordRotherhitheRuislipRush GreenSandersteadSeven KingsSheenShepherds BushSheppertonShirleyShooters HillShoreditchSidcupSilvertownSloughSmithfieldSohoSouth BankSouth CroydonSouth KensingtonSouth NorwoodSouth OckendonSouth OxheySouth RuislipSouth WoodfordSouthallSouthgateSouthwarkSpitalfieldsSt James’sSt Johns WoodSt Mary CraySt PancrasSt PaulsStainesStamford HillStanmoreStepneyStepney GreenStockwellStoke d’AbernonStoke NewingtonStonewoodStrandStratfordStreathamSudbury HillSunburySunbury On ThamesSurbitonSuttonSwanleySwanscombeSwiss CottageSydenhamTeddingtonTempleThamesmeadThe CityThornton HeathTolworthTootingTottenhamTotteridgeTower BridgeTower HamletsTower HillTrafalgar SquareTufnell ParkTulse HillTwickenhamUpminsterUptonUxbridgeVauxhallVictoriaWallingtonWaltham ForestWalthamstowWalworthWandsworthWansteadWappingWaterlooWatfordWealdstoneWellingWembleyWest BromptonWest ByfleetWest DraytonWest EndWest HamWest HampsteadWest NorwoodWest ThurrockWest TilburyWest WickhamWestminsterWeybridgeWhetstoneWhitechapelWhitehallWhittonWillesdenWillesden GreenWimbledonWinchmore HillWindsorWood GreenWoodford BridgeWoodford GreenWoolwichWorcester ParkYeading BankBlackfriarsCannon StreetCharing CrossCity ThameslinkClapham JunctionCovent GardenEustonFarringdonFenchurch StreetFinsbury ParkHammersmithHolbornKings CrossLeicester SquareLiverpool StreetLondon BridgeMaryleboneMoorgateOxford CircusPaddingtonPiccadilly CircusSt PancrasVictoriaWaterlooWaterloo East BasingstokeBirminghamBournemouthBracknellBrightonBristolCambridgeCardiffCoventryFarnboroughGuildfordLeicesterLiverpoolMaidenheadMaidstoneManchesterMilton KeynesNewburyNorthamptonOxfordPlymouthReadingSloughSwindonWindsor Birmingham (BHX)Bournemouth (BOH)Bristol (BRS)Liverpool John Lennon (LPL)London City (LCY)London Gatwick (LGW)London Luton (LTN)London Stansted (STN)Manchester (MAN)Plymouth City (PLH)Southampton (SOU) DoverHarwichSouthamptonPortsmouthFolkestoneFelixstowe Not listed?Get a custom quote All of our cars and drivers are licensed by the PCO (Public Carriage Office).All Heathrow taxi services, black cab, private hire cars, chauffeur and minicabs are controlled and regulated by the Public Carriage Office. Welcome to London Heathrow Cars Heathrow Based Pre-book or call on arrival, we are based at London Heathrow Airport (LHR). Flight Time Monitoring We monitor your flight free of charge, guaranteed no waiting time costs. Private Transfers Travelling to Heathrow? We can pick you up from any UK destination. Fixed Prices Set fares per vehicle from A to B, no taxi meters,no hidden charges. Nationwide Service We transfer between London and any destination in the UK. Our trained staff know how to remove the stress and uncertainty from your journey. Our local knowledge combined with the very latest in SatNav technology will ensure you reach your destination on time, even in the event of unforseen road closures or heavily congested traffic.Our fares are very competitive and all journeys have a fixed price regardless of the route or time taken. Please note that quotes for unlisted destinations are available on request.There are no cancellation fees and no premium charges for late night or early morning bookings. BookingsServices Fleet Enquiries Accounts Faqs We are based just 5 minutes from Heathrow Airport. Give us a call anytime, we can get a car to you in 10 minutes. Fri, 11 Dec 2009Heathrow times are a changing for the betterHeathrow Airport’s on-time performance increased by 11% in the third quarter of 2009 compared with the third quarter of … Heathrow to London | Heathrow to Gatwick | Gatwick to Heathrow

for example, the search ‘Heathrow to Reading’ in google, my homepage is indexed rather than my actual ‘Heathrow to Reading’ quote page (for that search).

seen here:
http://www.londonheathrowcars.com/eg.jpg

I think this is an SEO question. I suggest you ask over at the Search Engine Optimisation forum. If they tell you you need to put all this in a javascript file, then I can help you with that, but that is not really an ideal solution.

Perhaps converting it all to HTML entities would help, but I don’t know if search engine robots convert those to text automatically. Again, something to ask the SEO experts.