Optimizing Your Images for WordPress

The problem of making your pages look good on all sorts of screen sizes yet load fast is something that plays on my mind a lot. I got to the point where I use SVG for as much as I can, dispite some browsers not supporting it. It seems today you have pretty much 3 choices

• Beautiful pictures at the expense of speed and UX
  • Beautiful SVG at the expense of people with old browsers loosing out (the minority)
  • No SVG or Pictures usually leaving your page boring and texty (I know all about that! :stuck_out_tongue: )

TBH these days I am getting to the point of just leaving users with old browsers with a warning message saying that to get all the benefits of the site they need to download an up to date browser.

Developing to always cater for the minority with old browsers holds back progress. It means the majority who do have up to date browsers don’t get the responsiveness and functionality they should enjoy. It also makes it much more expensive because of all the work arounds and extra browser specific bugs.

An up to date browser is free, usually safer, and almost always better! Just download one for petes sake, it takes 2 minutes.

rant over

Having said that, I fully expect some people disagree with me on this.

1 Like