.otf font format - Looks different on WINDOWS then MAC?

Hello,

I noticed something really strange, on my imac i am using custom fonts in OTF format which i have included into my website with the following codes in fonts.CSS:

/* Orangeworx Custom Fonts */

/* Vaud Light */
@font-face {
font-family: Vaud-Light;
src: url(“…/fonts/Vaud-Light.otf”) format(“opentype”);
}

/* Vaud Regular */
@font-face {
font-family: Vaud-Regular;
src: url(“…/fonts/Vaud-Display-Book.otf”) format(“opentype”);
}

/* Vaud Medium */
@font-face {
font-family: Vaud-Medium;
src: url(“…/fonts/Vaud-Display-Medium.otf”) format(“opentype”);
}

/* Vaud SemiBold */
@font-face {
font-family: Vaud-SemiBold;
src: url(“…/fonts/Vaud-SemiBold.otf”) format(“opentype”);
}

It looks perfect on my imac, but on my windows 8.1 laptop in the same browser Chrome which i also use on iMac.

The problem?
The font on the windows laptop looks weird, and not the same… its unclear, cursive, dizzy looking…

What is the problem?Maybe a prolblem that i am using .otf only?

Thanks!

Yes, you need a range of formats to ensure that all systems will be happy. Fonts never look as good on Windows machines as on Macs, so you just have to live with that. IE has issues with OTF, but not Chrome, as far as I know: http://caniuse.com/#feat=ttf

If you want us to see what you see, you’ll need to include a couple of screen shots. One from your Mac and one from a PC. Ralph is spot on. .otf is not a universal platform font type. Variety is still the name of the game. Windoze prefers truetype; not sure about other types.

I was doing a bit of plugin work on my localhost Discourse last night and noticed that both FontAwesome and Zocial have multiple font types.

• eot
  • svg
  • ttf
  • woff

* FontAwesome also had otf

Assuming these are enough to cover most if not all possible use cases, is there not a way to allow some sort of “fallback” when one isn’t supported similar to a font stack?

You could try uploading your fonts to the font-squirrel generator and it will produce them in the best format possible for a variety of browsers.

You can read the details here.

Fonts in chrome on windows have always looked rough anyway. There was a bug that was supposed to be fixed but I don’t see a lot of change.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.