Out of it for a while

Hi all,

I haven’t been in the development “game” for a while - about 4 years. I want to get back into it, but am finding it difficult to get my foot in the door, due to the lapse in time.

I have, however, kept up with what’s new through that time span and and entirely confident my skills are still there.

Does anyone have any advice? I can’t simply point to past work - it doesn’t exist anymore, and the things that do were for a government entity and was accompanied with a very scary NDA.

I have also lost most of my contacts in the field. I’m not sure what to do.

Perhaps do some free work and drum up some initial clients through stuff like charities, local events, friends and families and set yourself up a portfolio to house it (along with screenshot’s of the past work - even if the sites no longer exist). You have the experience, you just need a fresh bump start, and a couple of charity gigs for good causes could be just the boost you need to get back in the game. :slight_smile:

I’d suggest looking for an entry to mid level position. If you’ve kept up on new technologies and you know your stuff, then it shouldn’t be too hard to slowly work your way up to a higher position. The key is that you keep up with new technologies.