Page stays in place

I have been listening to an instructor who explains that Ajax is where the page stays in place instead of having to refresh. He stated that this is following the concept of Web 2.0. My question is on the pages you typically see online, for example from stores, is there magnification (pic) an example of Ajax? Am I thinking about this wrong way? Thanks

That’s just a regular image file. It does the zooming because it tries to fit the image to fit the page as best it can, without scrollbars. The zooming it does is just the browser not forcing the full image on you. WHen you do zoom, you get the full image; scrollbars activated due to the size of the image.

AJAX is all about doing something without page redirection. For example:

• Making a server call in the background to fetch next set of records [e.x. pagination links on e-commerce sites]
  • Form validation without POST back.

Image zooming is not an example of AJAX rather it is a separate functionality written in javascript which displays the larger version of image on mouseover [by using some javascript plugin or custom written code]/

AJAX is a method of data retrieving but you’re talking about user interface.
The main goal of AJAX is to retrieve data from server without redirecting user to different URL.

In your example AJAX could be used if bigger image isn’t loaded on the page until user moves his mouse over smaller image. In such case you can use AJAX to load bigger image “on demand” while user stays on the same page. But you can do this without AJAX too, if you preload bigger image with the rest of the page.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.