miraculix — 2012-07-25T14:51:53-04:00 — #1
Sorry, haven't been here for a while but I wasn't expecting this much trouble to get back.
- Password forgotten link is missing
- I had to Google it to get to the proper page but upon filling in my email address, it says Invalid URL and was showing the Google link w/ search string etc.
- I bypassed this by plugging in the Password forgotten page URL directly into a browser window with http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/ open
- Finally, I was presented with the text field to enter my email and received the email: Your Login details at Sitepoint forums but to my surprise the link below To reset your password, please visit the following page:
was not clickable
- I had to copy and paste this into a new browser window. Now guess what? It says Invalid URL again. Then it showed me the FORM link for forgotten passwords which was the same page I reached in step 3.
- I had to repeat the process and plugin my email again but again I got the Invalid URL message.
- Finally, I connected using the Facebook button and plugged the URL into the sitepoint page which was open. Voila! Your password has been reset!
I am sincerely hoping that this is not an attempt to gather Facebook details of users. Feel free to recreate steps above and feel a piece of the frustration I just witnessed
J/K I have a feeling this will be resolved fairly quickly?
technobear — 2012-07-25T14:57:41-04:00 — #2
Welcome back - and sorry you had so much trouble getting here.
I had to use the "forgotten password" reset fairly recently, and had no problem with it. (Just as well - I'm not a Facebook user.) Perhaps @HAWK could check the system and see what's amiss.
hawk — 2012-07-25T15:05:11-04:00 — #3
Definitely not. Facebook doesn't work like that - we have no visibility of details.
Hmmm. Afraid not. I can't replicate the issue. I clicked the login button http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11177072/Screenshots/37e_.png
And got this screen with the reset link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11177072/Screenshots/o-uv.png
miraculix — 2012-07-25T15:07:55-04:00 — #4
while you are at it Hawk....when people subscribe to threads via instant email, the emails sent about new post notification are also not clickable.
miraculix — 2012-07-25T15:12:23-04:00 — #5
yup you are right. just tested.... I must have somewhat missed that little HERE link. The font color of the "here" on my screen looks 99% identical to the text color. My bad, I guess I was looking for a more obvious button. Scratch that request. Can anything be done about not having to copy and paste urls sent from sitepoint?
hawk — 2012-07-25T15:14:24-04:00 — #6
Unfortunately that is a limitation of vB4 in conjunction with your mail client.
ralphm — 2012-07-25T23:58:05-04:00 — #7
This may not help you, but I find more and more these days that I'm able to right click on a non-linked URL in all kinds of programs (like plain text editors) and choose Open URL in Browser (or similar).