Password Storage?

What do you use for Password Storage/Generation?

I’ve been using KeePass for the last couple years and just storing the db file in Dropbox and sharing that across all my devices, but I’ve been feeling like trying something else out. I signed up for LastPass last night and I do not like it at all, it’s buggy, and it’s constantly trying to get me to buy crap.

Buggy?

I’ve been using LastPass for 3 years, and I love it. Can you provide screenshots/examples of the bugs/up-selling?

It’s locked me out of one of my accounts 3 times because I can’t turn off the “Auto-Login” crap and I keep accidentally clicking it.

I also don’t like the heavy browser integration. I work with many secure fields at my work computer (who I share extensions with my home computer) and I do not want or need LastPass on those.

Like @cpradio, I’ve not seen any particular issues with my (light, tentative) use of LastPass over the last couple of months. I’m slowly integrating it.

I use KeePass with the database file stored on a limited share space on a server at work for work credentials and other information shared among my department.

I didn’t mind 1Password, but I liked LastPass a bit better I think, for no technical reason that I can think of.

Hmm… this is a site-level setting, so you should be able to turn it off. I’ve never even checked this box and it seems to be “off by default” for me… So that is interesting.

Yeah, it is browser heavy, there isn’t any getting around that, but I think that is what makes it so popular too. Once installed in your browser of choice, you have instant access to all of your saved passwords and it simply works the same in all places.

Lifehacker did an article several years ago

They also have a tag that they use if you want to read some of their latest ramblings over the competitors

We use KeePass

Hmm… this is a site-level setting, so you should be able to turn it off. I’ve never even checked this box and it seems to be “off by default” for me… So that is interesting.

Yeah, I have that clicked. Still tries to autologin. I’m not even sure what’s the problem, the password is correct.

I think that is what makes it so popular too.

Yeah, I don’t like that at all and find it to be very annoying and distracting. I like things to get out of my way when I don’t need them.

Maybe I’ll just stick with KeePass. I run Linux at home, so either Browser/Cloud based or Linux is a requirement. It’s actually part of the reason why I wanted to switch, because I don’t really like KeePass 1 very much and KeePass 2 isn’t Linux native and doesn’t run very well.

Exactly what I do too. :slight_smile:

I use 1Password on my mac and my phone. Love love love it.

I use KeePass

LOL I just realized that I cannot access my KeePass file. The three passwords that I swing with do not work.

Oh well back to the drawing board. ROFL

LOL I use a notebook.

2 Likes

I bought the new Mac Mini today, so I’ll probably be checking 1Password out.

It’s my first Mac and I’m pretty stoked. I’ve been waiting for it since last year. I’m ready to move off Linux and away from all the half-***ed FOSS copycat software and back into quality apps.

I got the i5 version with the 256gb SSD upgrade.

1 Like

I thought Apple switched from their own custom OS to a Linux variant as of version 10.

It’s Unix based. But it has real software built for it where Linux mostly only has FOSS. If Linux had real software instead of needing to find crappy copies of real software, I would probably stay.

I use both 1password (for personal stuff) and LastPass (for work). The LastPass UI drives me crazy, probably because I’m so used to 1password.

Does anyone else have to juggle more than one password manager? How do you handle it?

I don’t. I put all the passwords from LastPass into my 1Password and just use that.

The SitePoint dev team uses LastPass

LastPass = free (or a small fee if you want something extra)
1Password = $50

The decision was really made for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t know it was so expensive. I don’t think it’s what I want anyway.