Pay the redemption fee or renew my domain elsewhere when it expires?

Hi,
I have a domain name that expired and is now in redemption period. In order to renew now from the current registrar, I would have to pay £50.
I have an account with another registrar which allows me to back-order domains. I’m thinking of just back-ordering it so that I can have it back at normal price when the redemption period is finished (next week).

Its not a special domain, just a mis-spelled word, although I had it for around 6 years now. I only use it because I still have emails going there. What are the chances someone else could beat me to it if I backorder it? Or will my registrar register it for me as soon as it goes back into the pool?

I guess what I’m asking is should I take the risk or pay the £50?

What are the chances someone else could beat me to it if I backorder it? Or will my registrar register it for me as soon as it goes back into the pool?

You never know the chances of someone else getting it. There are lots of people who buy expired domains either to resell them or to try and monetize them. If one of them gets it, you might regret not paying the 50 when you had the chance. Besides, backordering itself will cost you something anyway.

Hmm, I guess I should just swallow the cost & play safe. Its such a crap doain name, I can’t imagine anyone wanting it, but with the luck I’ve had this past year, someone will probably snatch it if I don’t sort it out now…

Thanks, I might be £50 lighter, but on the other hand you might have just saved me £500 worth of headache pills! :slight_smile:

Can you UNLOCK the domain? I had a similar problem with Godaddy who almost ‘stole’ a domain name from me and I created an account on namecheap.com and transferred the domain there. NO redemption fee. I’ve also moved ALL my domains from Godaddy, so that I’ll never have to deal with this. So, if you can unlock your domain, try to transfer it. Might work.

Thanks for the replyt. Its registered with 123-reg. Whilst the domain is in redemption period, it does not appear in my account control panel, so I have no administration over it. It actually costs £78 incl tax to re-activate it! That’s an expensive email account!