Penguin 2.0 update has hit rankings

Howdy,
I represent a UK based workwear company and our rankings have fallen following Penguin 2.0. We are a relatively small company compared to many competitors and have noticed the arrival of large companies in the serps. Many are not even in the workwear sector and pretty irrelevant which is annoying. We have not received any correspondence from Google, but our fall from grace particularly for the word workwear has been big. Is it worth emailing Google? We have attempted to remove bad links, is it worth using disavow?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Google will not answer. A clean site with no questionable links and (can’t say something clear here really)… I mea, sites with no spammy appearance or content are safe, still many got hit, the thing is, it’s not really clear what G is considering spammy or how they consider a site to be so. Been reading testimonials regarding anchor and keywords from within the site pointing to other parts of the same site. This is really complex :frowning:

How do you know it’s Penguin 2.0 that’s affecting your rankings. I thought 2.0 was supposed to help smaller sites and companies. If you had bad links, then that probably was the problem. I would recommend to get rid of bad links and start building links and popularity naturally.

No there no use of email as they have made an algorithm update. You are not hit by any manual plenty. And come on its just an algo update one can recover from it.

I think, The reason dropping of your website is bad and irrelevant links. Yes it is worth using disavow. You don’t worry. Using of disavow your all bad links will remove and after some time your ranking will improve.

Google have said that unless you get an alert to warn you that you are being hurt by bad links, there is no need to use the Disavow tool.

i think u have used that anchor text too many times to create backlinks and thats why it got hit and now will be found in very later pages in Google

let the mud settle before u do anything else

Hello All,

I was away when Google updated penguin 2.0 and my seo work was stop for two week.My keywords have been dropped from first page to second page,third page of Google.I was working on quality links.
Let me know, what is reason behind that?

With the recent Panda 2.0 update on 22 May 2013 my site is lost our top position (10th) for all top keywords e.g “free dating sites” and “free online dating sites”. In fact we are ranking on my site as floating since April 2012 when Panda and Penguin update was rolled out in the span of less than a week. Since then the traffic was flat and never picked up. The major drop in the traffic I came on 27 September 2012 when Google launched when Google launched Panda #20 and EMD (Exact match domain) update. Since then the traffic on the site is dropping and never picked up.

In fact we did not do back linking. The only thing we have been doing is posting articles, social bookmarking and maintaining social profiles on (FB, Twitter and Pinterest). No Back linking in past 18 months.

I am clueless what to do now!!

Domain registration Date – 2001
Page Rank -3

The only thing I could think of here is that your website has received bad back links from other sites. I think Disavow can help but you need to do more. Don’t worry, if you keep putting up good links (organic white hat), there’s a good chance your website ranking will go up. You’re not alone in this dilemma.

Penguin 2.0 was a strange update for me. My blogs got more traffic, as did most of my content heavy sites. While other sites with many outgoing links got clobbered.

Andy

Well try these if you see a decline overall after peng 2,

1. Use ahref.com and see anchor text % of keywords you are trying to rank, if its too much, recover it by either disavow or manually
  2. See the ratio of no follow and do follow links, if do follow exceeds, try to make no follow links

Also see if you are hit by panda if you have any dupliate content

I think its better to use the Disallow tool to get recover from Search engine ranking. I have too experience for these all update. And I am now focusing over Content and Social Media sites.

You have to use disavow link tool.
Complete an audit of existing backlinks, flagging any low quality, paid and exact match anchor text links using one of the many tools available. Next, start the process of removing the most toxic ones first using disavow link too, progressively working through your list of links.