Personification of software: The contest

How do think that your software would look if it was a person/animal/object?

Most of us have an opinion about the software we use (browsers, graphic programs, Operating Systems, etc). We know what we like or hate about them… but do you think that you’ll be able to show it? Graphically?

Should FireFox really be represented as a Fox on Fire? Should Opera be drawn as a fat lady singing? Should Photoshop be a shop with photos?

Well, only you have the answers. Send us your drawings/sketches/pictures/graphics in the most “artistic” manner you can. You don’t need to be a graphic design expert, judges will be looking for creativity and scoring based on concepts, not how experienced you are with design programs

The rules

[list]
[] You must send your drawings or graphics before Sept 30th, 2010 at 24:00 (GMT)
[
] The work must be original
[] Quality is not a requirement, creativity is.
[
] You’ll be recognized as the author of this work.
[] Will be used in Non-Profit usage only.
[
] Sitepoint will retain all digital rights.
[] Accepted Formats to be jpg, png, tiff and eps
[
] Images should be 72 DPI and no larger than 600 pixels wide or tall
[] You can send sketches, drawings, photos or photo composition… whatever you want!
[
] Of course, we need to know which software is being represented!
[] You can send as many drawings or graphics as you want
[
] Send your files to [B]forums@sitepoint.com[/B]. They will be uploaded to our [B]Flickr page[/B].
[/list]The prize
Any SitePoint book AND any course of your choice (kits are excluded)

The judges
For the first time ever, staff members will not judge the contest! But your fellow members will!

Joebert, Sega, Ardan16, FaridHadi, Ditch182, Ferrari_Chris, Kaostream have kindly accepted the challenge to vote the most creative entry.

So what are you waiting for? Send us your file ASAP! Quick, quick, quick :wink:

Good luck to all participants :slight_smile:

I had an idea and was G’ing for an image to use and someone one upped me so all I have is a link. My idea was a little more sarcastic but you get the idea.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/al_oasis1/navigatorrip.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blogs.inquirer.net/m-ph/2008/01/&usg=__dHv9HBx3jdQRF_Oa2hSqKQlDYE4=&h=285&w=380&sz=105&hl=en&start=276&sig2=ljA3JZbZpznvHAg7x5gwZQ&zoom=1&tbnid=SzetkDNEy5IfcM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=198&ei=8PmcTN-sO8T38Abo7PA4&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522netscape%2Bnavigator%2522%2B4.0%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D578%26tbs%3Disch:10,6456&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=803&vpy=137&dur=2194&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=110&ty=118&oei=svmcTI3mOYWclgewuO3nCQ&esq=15&page=15&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:276&biw=1280&bih=578

That deserves a big :lol:

Not a real entry of course, but here’s my first thought on most applications…

Yes, that’s why this contest is graded on the idea, not the artistic ability.

I’m fairly happy with what I do have, drawing-wise, but finishing it! Inking it! Takes a lot of time.

Why I don’t understand why animators spend the time inking the story boards. Holy cow, that’s as much work as making a comic, might as well publish it and get extra cash.

I sent this last Tuesday, but the Flickr page seems to have stagnated so I’ll repost it here to confirm my entry.

Good thing artistic talent isn’t required! :blush:

Note: While I did draw this myself, a lot of the features were traced.

Good one Molona!
Lack the requisite skillz you figure? You have a bank of smilies to work with in that case!

:smoke:
PS

:wavey:
GIMP

:eyebrow:
Dirty old man. I mean Paint. They had nothing that could be construed as an ugly old man, so I took some poetic license!

Oh man, mine are going slow. So far only a pencil of vi, GNU-emacs (looks like stallman lawlz) and Ed, and Geany and Kate. The big one of all will be DreamWeaver coddling a user, and I haven’t even pencilled that one yet!

Haven’t decided what TextMate will look like; last minute I decided I should prolly include a Mac software to be non-discriminatory or something lawlz.

Haha, I love this contest! I hope I find time to make an entry or two!

Cool. I’m thinking about doing my own… after all, I’m not judging this contest… I’m thinking about comparing different graphic programs :slight_smile:

:rofl: :rofl:

At least you can say that you were completely “transparent” on this topic :stuck_out_tongue:

lol… it’s a Dodo lol… that’s funny!

IE6

Finally started getting somewhere with mine…hope to be done by end of the week.

Text editors!

C’mon guys. Last chance… just one day to go!

Actually, I thought that yours were funny… but one of our requirements was the work had to be original meaning yours… Shame that transparent gifs were so widely used in all webs :lol:

Arg. Haven’t had time to even touch my drawing, only scan it. : ( I’m not going to make it.

Trust me, I understand the feeling. Last week was hell for me, and this week has been even worse :frowning: Must be end of the month’s craziness :slight_smile:

Would be awesome. Rasters vs vector or paid M$ shills vs struggling free software types? Yes of course it’s all about fighting. And Illustrator would have way too many of those stupid web2.0 swirly vector things around her like we see everywhere.

Interesting…
I have to start my picture, will attached soon.