PhotoDeluxe scratch Disk problem

Upon opening Adobe PhotoDeluxe, I get the following message:

The currently selected Scratch Disks are almost full.
Primary>Startup (with a dropdown option for C:\)
Secondary>None (with a dropdown option for C:\)

No matter what I try, I click “OK”, then I get a message:

Could not initialize Adobe Photodeluxe because the primary scratch disk is full. We recommend you free space on your scratch drive before continuing.

Then the program closes, and I am clueless.

I run Win2k with 256 RAM. And I’m out of memory?:confused:

Please help, I don’t know how to free up scratch disk, whatever that is.

When photoshop renders and works with documents it uses an incredibly amount of disk space to do it as quickly as it does.

This disc space is called the “scratch disk”. A certain amount of free space (roughly 70MB if memory serves) is required.

So, in order to make photoshop run so you can set your scratch disk to another drive (phsyical or partition) you need to free up about 70MB of space, and then you can go to Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks and fix it.

I get that on the university network all the time, luckily there are a few drives available to us and I just change my preferences.

I’m sorry; I’m a newbie and need more details on how to do this.
I don’t know how to free up 70 mb.

I can’t even open up Photodeluxe. You’re saying that after I free up space, it will open?

Please tell me how to free up space. I don’t even know if you are talking about RAM or hard drive.

:o

It’s hard drive space for your Paging File. :slight_smile:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System (icon)

System Properties box pops up. Click ‘Advanced’ tab.

Now click on ‘Performance Options’. You will see these words:

Virtual Memory
Total Paging File size for all drives: __mb

Click the little button that says, “change”.

Then just increase the number.

:tup:

whoa whoa whoa

NO! :smiley:

What’s being talked about is physical hard drive space.

To free it up, either remove some programs, do a “system clean” (look for folders/stuff you know should have been deleted) or whatever.

Increasing the paging file is not the recommended course, and will in reality make the problem worse as the paging file size actually reserves extra hard drive space.

Photodeluke uses free space on your computers hard drive as a temporary (or scratch) disk. It stores information (data) there while performing operations. These temp files get deleted when the file is closed or the program is closed normally.

It sounds like your computers hard drive might be full. What are your specs? How much RAM, How big a hard drive? Do you have seperate partitions on your hard drive that you could switch to for the scratch disk?

Has Photodeluxe crashed on you lately? When it crashes, those temp files don’t get deleted. They take up LOTS of room. Somtimes 20 and 30 megs per file. Have a look around for a file with an extension of .TMP. Those should be safe to delete. They would be in the root of your C:\ drive.

Try deleting your cache, your temporary internet files and emptying your trashcan. Those actions will remove quite a bit of clutter from the average users computer. Once you can get PD to open, change the amount of RAM it uses by choosing FILE or EDIT then Preferences. Poke around until you find a choice for RAM. Bump it up to around 60%-75%.

Just a note, Photodeluxe is the light version of Photoshop so it might not have the option to change the RAM settings.

Ok, I thought it might be both PhotoDeluxe complaining about space and Win2k not having enough space. On my system, only Win2k asks for more space.

:confused:

OK, I emptied the recycle bin, (had about 20mb in it)
and deleted cache. Now I can open PhotoDeluxe.
Thanks Creole. Is it safe for me to delete everything in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Local Settings\Temp

There seems to be a lot of junk in there.

By the way, I have used only 3 gig out of 38 gigs on my HD.

Now when I check the scratch disk in photodeluxe, it is set at 75%.
Available RAM: 234 mb
Photodeluxe RAM: 175 mb

So I did not change anything. That’s the way it was by default.

BTW, the last time I used Photodeluxe, I was working with some huge pictures, but it did not crash.

Thank you everyone.

Do you mean the Temporary Files Directory? You should check through it because there might be files in it that some programs still need.

If you are referring to the “Temporary Internet Files Directory”- then you can safely empty that.

:slight_smile:

C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Local Settings\Temp

Is fine to empty so long as you have rebooted your computer recently and your username is administrator. Otherwise, fine the directory for your username and only empty that :slight_smile:

Thanks Jim; Jeremy.

What a gold mine this site is and the awesome people here that give their free time to help.

Hopefully soon I can give something back by helping someone.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out on my own before coming here, but I just can’t get it.

I am working with photos using Photodeluxe.
Every time I click Save As > JPEG File, the program
just hangs. After about 4 minutes of hanging, I get the following message:

“The photo browser could not be started.
Photodeluxe may not be installed correctly.”

I click ‘OK’, and it brings me to the Save box, and lets me save it.

This never used to be a problem, so I can’t see how PhotoDeluxe may not be installed correctly.

I have not yet tried uninstalling and reinstalling yet, because first I wanted to see if the good people
at sitepoint know a quick fix.

It is interesting to note that it never totally freezes… it ALWAYS lets me save it after about 4 minutes of hanging.

Does this have anything to do with the Scratch Disk?
I have about 36 gigs free on my HD, and 256 RAM. I can’t see why I am having this problem with that much free space and RAM.

Another thing I should mention…when I am working with a .gif, it lets me save it right away. It only hangs when I try to save a new .jpg. Why is that?

Here is what is shown as I bring up Scratch Disk:
Primary: C:\
Secondary: C:\

Physical Memory Usage
Available RAM 234110k
Used by PhotoDeluxe: 70%
PhotoDeluxe RAM: 163877k

The Primary used to be set at Startup, and I changed it to C:\. I have the same problem either way.

Thanks

Do you have your hard drive partioned? Two things, if you do, then how much space does C: have? Also, if you do, make either the primary or the secondary another partition.

One last thing, if you DON’T have your hard drive partitioned, then you really should. 36 gigs is WAYYY too much to have as just one drive. Your computer will tart faster if you give the C: drive only around 3 or 4 gigs.

Yup, partitions definitely allow your computer to sell her body much faster :wink:

No, it is not partitioned. I did not know that having an unpartitioned big drive would be problematic.

So this is likely the cause of the hanging?

I am not very technically savvy as far as A+ issues,
so do you recommend Partition Magic? I heard that it is easy to use, and I don’t have to reinstall any of my applications.

I don’t think that this would be the cause of the problem. It’s certainly not making it any better though. I would recommend against software such as Partition Magic. I’ve had serious problems with it in the past. I use a simple application called FDISK. It comes with DOS and allows you to partition your drive the right way, before any data is on it. Partitioning your hard drive while it’s got info on it is just asking for trouble.

I would just wait it out on the partition area. The next time you reformat your computer ask us for help and we’ll give you input on how to use FDISK.

As for the PS problem, did this just start happening? Or has it done this since you installed PS?

It just started happening recently.
I have used PD on this box (win2k) several months
without problems.

I can’t think of anything that I have done that may have triggered this. i.e., installing a new program.

I have defragged a couple months ago.

Thanks for the advice on PartMagic. The last thing I need right now is more problems. I use PD quite a bit, so this problem is a priority for me to fix. I dread having to reinstall all my programs, but maybe I should FDisk.

I read somewhere recently that when you install win2k pro, you have the option to set up partitions. I did not do that, because I was not wise then. I’m not much wiser now either, but at least I know I should partition.

For a 40 gig drive, what is a good partition configuration? As a side note, soon I will be buying a 2nd HD, a 120gig HD exclusively for video capture.

I only want to reformat & partition if no one can suggest an alternative fix.

Thank you all so much.

~Rob

It depends on your setup. I personally have 7 partitions between 25 gigs.

I would allot about 4 gigs for C: then whatever you need for the others. It might be nice to do an applications drive and a data drive.

Maybe this?

C:\ (System) - 5gig
D:\ (Applications) - 10gig
E:\ (Data) - 10gig
F:\ (Personal) - 15gig

When you get your new drive, it’s probably ok to leave that one as is. The main reason to partition a larger drive is so that the system drive has less to look through when it’s running.

thanks Creole