Photography Competition Phase Two Coming Up! Now it's really time to Name that Tune!

:note: Photography Competition: “Name That Tune”:note:

Get out your photo albums and/or cameras and your music collection. It’s time to “Name That Tune!”. :musicman:

This is a two-part competition:

• Phase One of this contest runs April 2-20 27.

• Phase Two begins on May 1 and goes through May 10.

∘ To enter Phase One you must submit a photo that represents a song title. (For the rational behind this contest, see post #41. I know it’s late, but better late than never!).

Along with your photo, write a paragraph or two (500 to 1000 characters), that describes how the photo relates to your song. You may not use the song title in your paragraph, although you must submit the title along with your photo. You’ll see why in Phase Two of this contest.

[COLOR=“#006400”]The contest thread, located in our Photography forum, is closed for comments, but our judges will enter your photo/text submissions as they are received.[/COLOR]
∘ Send your entries to competitions@sitepoint.com

Prizes:

[INDENT]‣ First Place – A SitePoint Book of your choice.
‣ Second Place: A SitePoint E-Book of your choice.
‣ Third Place: A SitePoint Coffee Mug.[/INDENT]
Judging Criteria: Entries will be judged for -

[INDENT]‣ Photo/Song Title Compatibility
‣ Photo quality
‣ Writing quality[/INDENT]

Contest Rules:

• All photo submissions must be made by April 20 27. Send your photos with song title and your descriptive paragraph to competitions@sitepoint.com. Winners will be announced on May 1, the beginning of Phase Two of this contest.
  • All photo and paragraph submissions must be the property of the contestant. If we find they aren’t, your submission will be removed and appropriate action will be taken. :smashy:
  • As they are received, photos and their paragraphs will be entered as new posts in the contest thread (closed for comments) with the name of the contributor. Enter early - enter often, but we limit prizes to one per contestant in Phase One.
  • One photo/paragraph/title per entry, please.
  • All SitePoint members, with the exception of contest judges are eligible to enter this competition.

Rules and directions for Phase Two of this contest are in the Name That Tune Contest Thread! Enter NOW!

Need help? Pm a judge: Shyflower ; ScallioXTX ; Parkin T ; samanime ; TheRaptor ;
This is a two-part competition:

Unfortunately, I’m not a photographer and don’t own a camera - but I’ll be very interested to see what ends up being submitted. Good luck to all!

~TehYoyo

Stay tuned for Phase Two of the contest, you won’t need a camera for that! :stir:

Hi,

Can photos be composited images or just a bare bones photo?

Regards,
Steve

Photos should remind you of a song, not be manufactured to depict one. So, they will need to be just “bare bones”. In phase two of the contest, we’ll ask contestants to match up song title with the photos/text entries. If your photo has been manipulated, you’ll be making it pretty easy for someone to “get” the title. Use your text to describe the characteristics of your photo that bring a song to memory without using the song lyrics or title.

Ok Thanks!

is this compition open to all?

All SitePoint members, with the exception of contest judges are eligible to enter this competition.

I’ve sent mine.

How many entries so far?

@itmitică ; where did you send it to? We haven’t received it. :frowning:

@Shyflower

I’ve sent it to competitions@sitepoint.com. I’ve resent it now.

Maybe check the Spam folder?

Though I must confess to shamelessly breaking the rules! :smiley:

Off Topic:

@itmitică not working for itmitică! :frowning:

Is their restrictions on Military Photos? Have a bunch of those.

The photo must be your property and if there are recognizable faces in them, you will need the permission of the people to publish them.

[QUOTE=itmitică;5097818]@Shyflower

I’ve sent it to competitions@sitepoint.com. I’ve resent it now.

Maybe check the Spam folder?

Though I must confess to shamelessly breaking the rules! :smiley:

[ot]
@itmitică not working for itmitică! :frowning:
[/ot][/QUOTE]

I’ve received your entry, but sorry, it isn’t eligible. It’s a video, not a photo and it isn’t your personal property.

The message has a photo attached. A photo that is entirely my work.
Please check again. :slight_smile:
The video is the song described by that photo.

[QUOTE=itmitică;5097956]The message has a photo attached. A photo that is entirely my work.
Please check again. :slight_smile:
The video is the song described by that photo.[/QUOTE]

So there is! I have the photo, but your text is less than 500 characters. Sorry, but still ineligible for this contest.

Along with your photo, write a paragraph or two (500 to 1000 characters)

For anyone who is worried about having to write 500 characters, here is what 563 characters look like:

Sagittis lorem est dolor parturient non velit diam cubilia eros. Sociis suscipit metus Metus. Tincidunt tincidunt viverra torquent ultricies tristique eget donec ultrices dapibus dis, porttitor ullamcorper morbi congue platea curabitur Tristique, ut pharetra netus rhoncus laoreet risus sapien odio integer conubia tempus cum ante nullam ac congue non imperdiet, dapibus Nam, facilisis nec eleifend.

Nonummy eleifend laoreet parturient. Nascetur magna conubia. Litora. Non nostra diam habitasse pellentesque platea est dictumst lacinia penatibus dis mattis proin. Et egestas vitae pretium hymenaeos ac cubilia lacinia sodales Phasellus.

You can do it! :slight_smile:

I was reading an article about the 1k CSS contest (and was surprised at how small that is). 1000 characters really shouldn’t be that hard :smiley: When I write x-word essays for school, :mad: I just start writing and then see how long it is at the end.

~TehYoyo

Edit: I tried to put my

:mad:

emoticon in parentheses and got (:mad:) which translates to :lol:

OK.

I’d do that, but then I’d have to worry if blanks, special chars and such, would disqualify me because it has to be 500-1000 without the blanks. And after that, if I put the song name in quotes, or not. Or if the image is a certain size, if it has a certain number of colors, if…

It looks far too complicated and worrying for me to meet the requirements of this contest. Consider my entry as withdrawn. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Are you sure? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=itmitică;5098177]Are you sure? :slight_smile:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s490/itmitica/chars-count.png[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. 551 characters in the dummy text I posted. Notice that is a character count not including spaces.

It’s a shame that you found our simple rules too difficult to follow.