Php and Mysql Novice to Ninja query

I have been following the book of sitepoint php and mysql novice to ninja , implementing all examples , everything was running smooth, until chapter 7, final topic managing jokes , where the author states that the database example in the chapter CMS was not designed to support add jokes and delete jokes operation. What is bugging me is, why is it not suitable for these operations, it seems normalized with no database anomalies.

Jokes
Id
Joketext
Jokedate
Authorid

Jokecategories
Jokeid
Categoryid

Categories
Id
Name

Author
Id
Name
Email

Any help and reply would be much appreciated

Thanks,
T.

No idea. I don’t have the book with me, so I can’t check it. But doesn’t the author explain why it doesn’t support adding and deleting jokes? Or continue with the modifications to the DB so it does support adding and deleting? Or maybe he wasn’t talking about the DB design, but about the PHP code?

Thanks for the help :), once you confirmed there is nothing wrong with the database, I skimmed through the later chapters to find the answer…The author was talking about website security in general , as its not secure to allow just anybody to delete and add jokes to your database without an authorization mechanism

Because now your database has a junction table (lookup table) named “Jokecategories”. And he wasn’t talking about the CMS you created in chapter 7. The add and delete options of your CMS should work just fine. He was talking about the code archive, where he added a folder named “joke” (chapter7) and removed those two features from the joke list page. Because it’s the same joke list page that he created in chapter 4 (and modified a little in chapter 5 and 6).

Thanks for Clarification , and also for the link :slight_smile: