Php and Website Design || Help

I see Derek Banas has put out a new video series on PHP. I found most of his videos very good but he does talk rather fast. (Of course, you can always rewind them on a video).

I would suggest looking at his videos on html/css and php on www.newthinktank.com. I learned quite a bit from his css videos.

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2

You wrote: “Yes. I have read this Book, but, it’s a noob book. It covers the basics. Not too much things.”

cpradio gave that answer because of your post, which said, “I have some noobs questions…” So he recommended a book suitable for noobs. :slight_smile:

I recommend the books already recommended elsewhere on this page. :slight_smile:

I think we have confused you with our terminology. See if this untangles the terms. I am deliberately oversimplifying:

HTML/CSS is the language browsers use to render web pages directly to the browser.

PHP is code you put on an HTML page (or on a PHP page). Browsers can’t read it as is, it has to go to the server, be updated as HTML, then returned to the browser.

MySQL is a database format on the server. It is not on an HTML or PHP page.

PHP is code on an HTML page that interacts with a database - adding, subtracting, reading, deleting data on the database.

PDO is a way to code PHP using certain forms of syntax. It is a better way of coding because it removes the possibility of hackers ruining your work.

No, the index page can be in PHP. HTML/CSS is what your browser interprets, PHP is what (can) deliver the HTML/CSS to the browser. You can have static HTML/CSS, or you can have HTML/CSS that is created dynamically by PHP or other server-based languages.

I saw that these books made from someone who is in “sitepoint”. I hope that you do not just recommend them because of him. And i hope these, to cover MORE THAN THE BASICS.

I am really dissapointed with Luke Welling’s and Laura Tomson’s Book. I want to read books which cover most everything things. Not the simple things.

Thank you a lot!

All Sitepoint books are made by authors who are integrated with Sitepoint… I’m a bit confused by your statement. I have zero affiliation with Sitepoint the company. I simply volunteer as a Leader on this forum.

As previously stated, they will walk you through building an application from start to finish. Can you give us more information as to what you consider “the basics”? What is it that you want to get out of a book (and don’t say, “I want to learn PHP”)? Do you want to learn about different patterns/repositories? Architecture? Coding Practices?

Are you disappointed because the book didn’t cover what you expected it to cover? Or did it not fit you as a reader? I know there are several books I’ve purchased and then made as a door stop because the book was difficult to follow or didn’t fit my learning style. It wasn’t that the book was bad, it just didn’t suit me.

@cpradio , I am interested about making mine (personal) dynamic Php Web page. But not only that ! I have seen other languages and i can say that i prefer more Php. I do not like C, or Java, or any other language. I like Php.

So, yes. I want to learn everything about making dynamic Php Pages, or Web applications.

And, i am disappointed because the book did not cover " what i wanted to read". Pro things. For example, i do not want to read Chapters such as : Loops, Conditions, Variables, operators . And etc.

P.S. Which way do you prefer for learning Php? And which stuff do you use?

Okay, so that doesn’t really help a lot. So am I to understand you know the basics of programming? You know what a variable is, what conditions/operators are, etc? You simply want to know how to build an application from start to finish. If so, the books we referenced on Learnable, will do that.

I’ve used a variety of sources. A lot of online sites (the php manual). But I started with a book and then went with an idea in my head and didn’t stop till I made it a reality. Another thing you could look at is http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/php, but it may be stuff you already know :frowning:

1 Like

I would like to make a dynamic Php website. The example of house-floor plan was good.

1. I do not want to have a one page. I want to have multiple pages in my website. However, i think that using Php, would make more secured my website. Correctly?

2. If i have to pay for the design of my website, and i do not want a simple template, i should tell him to make everything in Photoshop?

3. The index page can only be in HTML/CSS? I can’t make the index page in PHP?

4. A general question, Wordpress and Joombla templates can be embeded in a Php website?

Thank you a lot for your time and your replies!
You really helped me a lot!

My answers inline (split out by cpradio).

• No, not automatically. It still requires you to do something to secure the website. Without knowing exactly your security concerns its hard to say exactly what.
  • I would say no. Having everything in images unnecessarily increases bandwidth usage for you and download time for users. Also search engines don’t crawl images as well as text.
  • It can be in either.
  • Generally no or not without much modification. Wordpress and Joomla are blogging or content management platforms (with extras). One ordinarily does the entire site in Wordpress or Joomla (or something else). Its not like a buffet where you just choose the dishes you want. Its more like a layered cake where trying to use just the pieces you want, and removing other pieces, can get exceedingly messy.

1 Like

About his 2nd question :
I am not sure if this increases the badwidth, but it’s not necessary a bad idea. He is telling that he does not want a simple template and he wants more high quality Design . And how should he clarify that to the Designer.

Clearly using an image as a replacement for text alone consumes more space and also more bandwidth. That much is incontrovertible. If the image is used for something other than text then its a different story. There was a time when websites did their entire site in Macromedia Flash. Not a practice I personally liked. However, in like fashion, I still believe text ought to be used for text and images for pictures. The web has already become a “wild west” without complicating things further.

1 Like