PHP Based Web OS

Just a quick question to put out there…

Wouldn’t it be great if there could be an operating system online where you could have the same files, settings, programs, etc?

If you were a PHP developer who thinks this is a good idea, answer the poll.

–Weaversam8

I personally would not use PHP for such a project…

I couldn’t have said it better. PHP is not a language designed for this type of task. I won’t say it can’t be done, but I can definitely say, I doubt it could be done in PHP alone.

What might you recommend to code an OS that runs online?

My first reaction would be a low level language such as C/C++, what is interesting is eyeOS, actually does a bit of both. They develop in PHP, but then use HipHop to compile the PHP down to C++ for performance reasons.

Another thing I’ve seen in the past is Virtual Machines via a Java Applet. Again, you have a more low level language being used (Java) to serve up the environment.

Personally, I really don’t think there is a big market for Web OS anymore, at least not from a business standpoint. There aren’t many applications you would be able to run, sure you could do e-mail, basic word documents, spreadsheets, etc, but when it comes to real business applications needed for day to day use, you don’t have a web variant that would even be close to suitable.

I don’t even understand the question.

It reads to me like “Who here thinks it would be a good thing to tree grass out of sand make with?”

How are you defining operating system? Your question seems to suggest a cloud-based application/file storage service. For this task PHP is indeed, very well suited but I’m not sure what you mean by “operating system” in this context.

I am not really sure what word to use. I would like this to run inside a browser, so users can have all their files, applications, settings, etc, while not requireing administrator access. For example, if you had a very restricted network at work, you could access this site and then not have to worry about contaminating your computer with viruses, or junking up a computer with applications. I would also like this to be open source, so then corperations could use this as maybe a terminal system. They could have a VERY basic linux kernel which loaded internet connectivity, then it would load the site where they would log on their computer. Any ideas what to call it other than an operating system?

Here, answer this and I think everyone will be clear on what you are asking:

Do you see it more in line with eyeOS or DropBox?

eyeOS Definition (Terminal/Citrix client embeded in a browser)

All web-based apps (SaaS or in-house) are called by eyeOS as web services while non web-based apps (Office or any legacy app) are virtualized in the central servers and then called by eyeOS. For example, eyeOS works seamlessly with Citrix XenApp solution. With SSO (Single Sign On), the user accesses all apps at once without having to log in and out

DropBox Definition (Cloud File Sharing)

Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by Dropbox, Inc. that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, and client software. Dropbox allows users to create a special folder on each of their computers, which Dropbox then synchronises so that it appears to be the same folder (with the same contents) regardless of the computer it is viewed on. Files placed in this folder are also accessible through a website and mobile phone applications.

I believe it would be more in line with eyeOS. I am going to check that out right now.

I looked at eyeOS and it looks almost exactly like what I want. I have a few problems though. eyeOS is not open source. That leaves little room for more creativity apps, etc. I believe we could make it much better. If I got the best coders on SitePoint together, do you think we could do this?

EDIT: P.S. I believe we could also write a small toolkit for Microsoft Visual Studio that would allow Windows 8 apps to be easily converted to our OS, as most of them are css, html, and scripting.

It’s just not going to happen.

The amount of work involved would be astronomical + php is not really appropriate for it. Plus, most php programmers can’t code to save their lives.

Whoa! Slow down. You are not ready for that step yet. You really need to look at this from a business perspective. You need to figure out what you want your system to be able to do, in detail. You need to prioritize that list so road maps and milestones can be established. You need to list what you can bring to the project and what skills you still need to acquire (via the help of others). You need to identify what you need to be able to develop this product in terms of hardware and where you will get it (and how much it will cost to keep that hardware going for the length of the development and beyond). You’ve got a lot you need to get done before you can even begin asking people to help you.

Do you see this as a business potential? As you can make money off and provide a fully open source product.

I was thinking I could have any interested developers on a team that all collabberated in the code and helped with concepts. I could have designers, coders, structuralists, etc…

We would release new code often, but once done, a company could be provided that would run the code for public use who doesn’t have servers to put it on.:slight_smile:

so you’ve gone from “Is this incredibly vague concept a good idea?” to “I want a team of developers and designers from sitepoint” (working for free, presumably?) in four posts? Are you for real?

I know, it’s mental. What you’re asking for is an incredibly complex system that would take a team of highly skilled and well organised developers probably a couple of years working more or less full time to complete.

Good luck.

I appreciate your support guys…

My job is to create crazy ideas, and at least give them a chance. I believe this is possible. You don’t have to.
Just don’t join us then.

If we split this massive complex thing into small parts, for example one person interested in a small coding job goes and picks one, like putting in emoticons for typing ( :):rolleyes::confused::cool::blush::eek::(;):lol::D:rofl::p:nono:(::x Sorry, I had to try all those.) then they submit their code. A team of central developers put it all together and delegate tasks. It would not be that hard.

You don’t have to help us. I was just asking for an opinion. Thank you for your help. Any words before I close this forum?

It’s not going to happen. No way.

There is no “us”, there’s just you, and I don’t think you understand the magnitude of the task at hand. If you think it’s as simple as you seem to, then you clearly haven’t thought it through enough.

I’ll leave you to it now.

If you manage to get this actually done to any significant extent and people actually use this system and think it’s in any way good, I will literally eat my hat. Literally. I’ll buy a hat and film myself eating it on youtube.

That’s how certain I am that this will go nowhere.

Exccellent. I cannot wait to see that.

ATTENTION! THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED.:x