PHP blocks

I’m trying to setup a lil’ CMS homepage for my forum site (phpBB) and I’ve looked a lil’ into some “portals” for phpBB but they don’t have exactly what I want, and tell you the truth, right now, I don’t know what exactly I want, but I’m doing it as an on-the-go basis, but the current blocks/modules I’m wanting for the homepage are: recent topics(phpBB wiki discusses this but still don’t know to use it in a block), announcements, polls, and other stuff that i just can’t think of at the moment, so I guess my question is, how exactly do i create this block/module for the semi-CMS?

You may have to explain a lil’ more.

But… from what I understand… You are asking about displaying your recent topics in a CMS widget/sidebar area? Well if it’s Wordpress, you can simply download/install the following plugin:

I guess the real question is, Which CMS are you using?

That’s the thing, don’t want to use a CMS, that’s why I said semi-CMS cause I want to create the code myself, and plus I’ve used Wordpress, Drupal, and Joomla, but just couldn’t integrate them the way I wanted to, so I decided to try and create one myself, but not a full one, hence the “semi” part, but yes that’s what I’m looking for the widget/sidebar thing, but I’m wanting to make my own

The following link should help you:

http://wiki.phpbb.com/Practical.Displaying_posts_and_topics_on_external_pages

Best of luck!