PHP developer looking to learn ASP.NET

Hi,

I’ve been developing PHP based websites for about 2 years now but I’d like to start learning ASP.NET as well. As a PHP developer I have a good understanding of programming fundamentals including developing Object Orientated / MVC based web applications.

I’ve looked into ASP.NET and see that there are 3 main ways of using it: ‘Web Pages’, ‘Web Forms’ and ‘MVC’. From what I can gather the first two are more primitive, does this mean I should ignore them or are they still something I need to be learning?

I also don’t know any C# yet. Is this something i’ll ‘pick-up’ during the course of learning ASP.NET or should I make an effort to learn this in it’s own right?

I’m sure there is no ‘right way’ of doing it, but i’d like to hear how others went about it. At the moment i’m just not sure where to start!

Thanks!

Learning C# while learning the fundamentals of ASP.NET should be a good place to start, as well as starting with MVC instead of Web Forms. Web Forms is more tailored for desktop applications in my opinion.

Quick question, do you plan on working for someone else/job, or work on your own?

I’ll go from there.

C# and .Net are different. ASP.Net can be picked up easily as there is Microsoft Visual Studio now that prompts the code. Go through a few docs. on the net and simultaneously do it practical and i guess u’ll pick up. Or you can opt for a short course to learn from.