PHP on Linux

Throw in a test.html file, and try to browse to that.

Do ls -l while in /home/jan1024188/Desktop/ (and remove unrelated entries if you wish).

I throw index.html, still 403 forbidden

Ok, so I made public_html in my jan1024188 and copied in .htaccess from my server. That didn’t work either (same as with other folders).

This obviously doesn’t work, I will try virtual server now

ohhh, I am killiing myself today.

I setup virtual server so now I have http://jan.com, but when I open it, guess what FUC*ING FORBIDDEN ERROR AGAIN.

I did everything, I did chmod 755, I setup everything including persmissions for my account and still!

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.14 (Fedora) Server at jan.com Port 80

webserver can have it’s own reasons to forbid, differ from the filesystem ones

May I suggest to use windows workstation, as it seems you are not too familiar with unix?

No way, windows sucks. Im not going back to windows ever again (I have it only to play games LOL), Linux rulez!

I want to setup the workshop here on linux.

I’m not complete freshby, I’ve been using linux 3 years ago for about a year so I am a bit familiar with it.

So any ideas why I keep getting 403?

The title of the thread is “php on linux”, so I’m gonna guess you may not :rofl:

jan1024188
the Apache error_log contents would be extremely helpful.

This is the only error in the virtual server log:

[Sat Mar 06 10:08:00 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to /403.html denied
[Sat Mar 06 10:08:00 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to / denied
[Sat Mar 06 10:08:00 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to /403.html denied
[Sat Mar 06 10:08:00 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to / denied

argh I was wrong
thought it would have a full pathname.

well you have to check if your DocumentRoot properly set and Apacha user (not you) have execute access to each folder in it’s path and read access to the very last folder

Who is apache user? root?
I guess root has access everywhere.

user named ‘www’ probably

Ok, I don’t understand. How do I assign proper permissions?

how do I set permissions to that user?

Suggestions:

1. Tone down the anti-Windows rhetoric. It makes you sound immature.

2. If your heart is set on Linux, find someone who actually has experience, and pay them to admin the box for you. This isn’t a Linux support forum, it’s a PHP forum. Your issues have nothing to do with PHP, it has to do with your own inexperience on the platform. It’s not fair to ask people you’ve never met to not only help you troubleshoot a relatively simple problem (which is legitimate), but to also educate you on very simple Linux related commands which can trivially be learned with a simple google search (or man page usage). Don’t take the goodwill of strangers for granted, else it will disappear when you most need it.

yeah, this totally solved all my issues!

The user will depend on your system, eg mine is www-data
Here’s some info on linux permissions

But I don’t understand, I did chmod 775 and its still forbidden.