PHP or Django?

I recently have been taking a class in Python as a desktop programming language and I absolutely LOVE it. It seems so much cleaner then PHP, and from what I have read it is much faster too. Me and my friend/business partner/graphic designer are creating a niche social networking site and I am thinking about using Django instead of PHP. I got Django installed, but I have no idea what to do from here. I have googled for tutorials and nothing has helped me out. I am trying to install Pinax but it’s proving to be just as tricky as installing Django for the first time was (although now I can do it in no time at all). My question is, should I use Django or stick with PHP and use a framework like Symfony or CakePHP? I have all the time I need to learn Django, but I have been using PHP for about 6 years. If you think I should use Django, can you please point me in the right direction on how to get a page up and running after installing Django and creating an app? Also, is there anything like Pinax for PHP? If not, then it’s a damn shame.

If you think I should use Django, can you please point me in the right direction on how to get a page up and running after installing Django and creating an app?

Have you tried this:

+1 for 7stud’s recommendation. The django documentation is fantastic.