PHP or WordPress?

I have a shopping cart that is build in (cake) PHP and this was done about 5 years ago. I’ve started rebuilding it in WP using the wooCommerce Theme. I know this should give the website better structure and hence a better ranking in search engine. Is this a good idea to re build the shopping cart with WP? I have problems with my computer slowing down when I enter large amount od data for a particular product. that’s when I enter any variable data for a product. The PHP is old but it does not have a speed problem and WP.

What do you guys think?

If WP has speed problems, then it might be detrimental to your SEO.

WP is worked on by a lot of people with not the best coding ability. Also it needs to work with lots of different plugins and so is not optimised for any particular configuration.

A custom written script would need to be very badly written to be slower than WP.

How many products in your website? And how many attributes on each product? I believe you can optimize wordpress to make it faster. Or maybe your hosting doesn’t support well to run wordpress.

Other than that, you can try to run OpenCart on your server to see if it 's fast or not.

Thanks for your input. It’s a website for printing so there are many products with a wide variety of attributes and variables. The more I think about it, PHP would be a better choice. I just have to hire a developer to customize or build a new cart to do exactly what I want it to do.

I gave up managing my own cart and use a 3rd party hosted cart now. Too much danger and penalties with PCI Compliance. They’re really tough this year. Hope you know what you’re doing as there is a lot more to it than just getting an SSL cert.

Hi,

Word press with Woo commerce is mostly better. Because it has lot of flexibility like categories, products, attributes and payment methods etc.
And it is user friendly in terms of admin management. And better for SEO also.

But what about the speed issue discussed above?

Speed issue with any WP based site can be tackled with cash plugins such as wp-cash.

You haven’t read the thread carefully enough. The question is not about speeding up Wordpress, but whether it is better to use Woocommerce, which seems to run slowly, or create a custom PHP solution.

I have not had any problems with woocommerce - it is well worth it and works effectively for me.

You said your computer slows down when you enter data into WooCommerce? Do you mean your actual computer slows down, or the server seems slow?

WooCommerce works fine on good hosting for many large stores.