PHP vs ASP.NET

Yes, but it does help to have the full version of Visual Studio. And if you’re serious about .NET you probably should.

But PHP is faster (to code and to load) and more flexible to me. Just personal preference.

Regardless, learn 'em both.

Really? PHP is faster to code for you? What IDE do you use? As I find it very difficult to beat how fast I can code .NET using Visual Studio. I do a lot of PHP work, but it takes way more time for me to code as I am constantly struggling with functions that are related but utilize a different parameter order, etc. Just curious as your experience is different than mine.

It is faster for me in terms of scale-ability and changing course on the fly. I use phpdesigner for php & eclipse for java and android.

And I have my own shortcuts that I’ve developed over the years with php that probably help me be a little quicker with that.

To each their own.

I have heard instances where .net loaded faster (windows vs. linux) and obviously the wysiwyg aspect of visual studio makes it easier for a lot of smaller projects.

But heavy backend coding and modifying that to change with the changes in the project seems way faster with PHP for me.

Thanks for the insight. I do agree with you on the changing of course. I do personally find it easier to change course in PHP than .NET. phpdesigner is only available for Windows right? I’ve been using sublime text 2 (or at least evaluating it for the past 2 weeks) because it can run on any operating system, so my primary linux desktop can use it and so can my laptop (which is Windows 7), thus a familiar IDE across all environments (but its’ php support is a tad lacking or I haven’t found the plugins necessary to improve it yet).

Both are used in web application , but PHP cannot be used for window application , I guess you should acquire the knowledge of both. As personally I find both of them very useful for the IT people and when you want to learn then go for both , if you could cope up with it.

ASP.net is havign better security compared to PHP. Also, you have the option of Master Pages to Improve Efficiency. The code-behind allows you easier to maintain the code when it comes to large websites.

That is a very vague statement to make. You can use similar frameworks in PHP that allow the separation of code and design and master pages is easily reproducible too (and could be done years before ASP.NET had it). As for the security, that is entirely up to the developer programming the site/application. Yes, ASP.NET has security features built-in for form validation, but each of those can actually be turned off too.

PHP over the past few years has made major headway in security and helping others learn how to properly secure their sites/applications.

well,a far as i know about that is in the term of cost and support, PHP is open source and commonly runs on an open source platform like Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, It wins over ASP.net for providing the most cost effective solution and a large amount of resources.

Thank you sir for some advice… its really help me a lot.

PHP is the best of my opinion when it is open source language…

Again, why does it matter to you that it is Open Source?!

Because he is a bot that saw “PHP” in a thread and decided to reply with a basic statement that generates flame. My guess is he tried to setup a signature in his profile too, but can’t due to not being over 90 days old.

Database Compatibility
As PHP uses MySQL for the purpose of database connectivity, it is highly flexible in nature. Another important fact is that it will incur extra expenditure because MySQL can be accessed for free. Whereas, ASP.Net uses MS-SQL for connecting database but MS-SQL can not be availed free from Microsoft.
Cost
Linux can be used for running PHP programs and Linux is free operating system. Therefore, the cost of developing a website in PHP language is remarkably low. On the other hand, you need to install Internet Information Server (IIS)on a Windows server platform if you want to run ASP.Net program. As Windows server platform is not a free product, the cost of production is bounded to be increased.
General Run Time
It has been observed that ASP.Net code runs slower than PHP code. This is because ASP.Net utilizes server space while running whereas inbuilt memory space is used by PHP while running.
Coding Simplicity
ASP.Net codes are somewhat complicated and a web developer needs to work hard to get the hang of it. But PHP codes are very simple and a programmer does not have to make a diligent effort because it is comparatively easier than other types of programming languages

This is a moot point, both PHP and ASP.NET can interact with MySQL or MS-SQL, or any of the other dozen databases that exist.

Yes, it does cost the license fee for a Windows box, but with that you can support. To get enterprise support in Linux, you have to pay for it as well (think Red Hat, Madriva, Ubuntu). Also, the up-keep of Linux is usually higher cost than Windows simply because you have to higher someone who really understands Linux and they don’t come cheap.

Not even close. ASP.NET is compiled so it executes with better performance. The optimized code is then cached thus subsequent page loads are very fast. I’m not saying PHP isn’t fast, but it is an interpreted language which is a big difference. Both store some of the execution in memory, php may get thrown into a swap file (written to disk) (if on linux) and you are low on RAM. Nonetheless, I don’t think I can agree with the claim that ASP.NET is slower than PHP. Nor can I agree that PHP is slower than ASP.NET (way too many variables to consider).

This is a personal opinion. I write in both daily; I didn’t have any problem picking up either of them. I was able to learn PHP within days, and the same was true for C# in the .NET framework. I’ve since spent over 6 years in both languages learning design patterns, good and bad practices, etc. If I had my choice, I’d use .NET for most of my work (so long as I have Visual Studio). Why? Because it forces you into OOP and it is setup so you can do OOP quickly. Granted the quickness comes down to the IDE. If I didn’t have Visual Studio, I’d toss a coin to decide if I should write the piece in PHP or .NET (I’d actually analyze it to see which one fits best, but you get the point). Both are simple languages, both have idioms as well (although I’d argue PHP has more idioms than .NET - all those functions that swap the parameter order for things along the same nature is annoying).

Um…PHP is not tied to MySQL, nor is .NET tied to any single database. Can use MySQL with ASP.NET there is also a free version of SQL Server, quite named SQL Server Express. Again, you are not tied to a specific database with either platform.

[B]

Cost
[/B]

Linux can be used for running PHP programs and Linux is free operating system. Therefore, the cost of developing a website in PHP language is remarkably low. On the other hand, you need to install Internet Information Server (IIS)on a Windows server platform if you want to run ASP.Net program. As Windows server platform is not a free product, the cost of production is bounded to be increased.

You would be surprised how little the price difference there is when buying and setting up servers whether it has Windows or Linux. Spending an extra few hundred dollars on a server that is almost $20,000 is nothing. Not to mention the monthly utilities cost to power and connect the server to the Internet, to paying the system administrator to maintain and manage the server, etc. The price of Windows is insignificant in the bigger picture.

[B]

General Run Time
[/B]

It has been observed that ASP.Net code runs slower than PHP code. This is because ASP.Net utilizes server space while running whereas inbuilt memory space is used by PHP while running.

Where did you hear that nonsense? I’ve been using PHP for several years now, was the first language I learned. In all that time PHP being faster then a compiled language? No, that is utter rubbish. I don’t even know where to begin your entire statement makes no sense and is completely wrong. what does “utilizes server space” even mean?

[B]

Coding Simplicity
[/B]

ASP.Net codes are somewhat complicated and a web developer needs to work hard to get the hang of it. But PHP codes are very simple and a programmer does not have to make a diligent effort because it is comparatively easier than other types of programming languages

Errr, not really no. Its just different concepts of the same thing. Having a logical and analytic mind is all it takes to understand any programming language. They all have the same basic foundation the rest is just syntax sugar.

I’ll just toss this one out there – PHP is a seriously badly “designed” language. There are alot of better open-source, linux friendly languages to learn on than something that will take years of recovery as a developer to get past. If you want to get hardcore and close to the iron skip this web stuff and write straight C. If you want to be all nifty and neato and agile write ruby. If you want to be effective write python. If you want to hang with the lunatic fringe take up scala.

I’ll add that C# and the .NET framework are probably one of the better designed and most consistent environments out there. Might be worth looking at as well. Be careful, Visual Studio will ruin you for most other things.

I think you can find ASP.net developer job more easily then PHP developer job . But I advice you to learn just that language of programming you like .