phpMyAdmin Error

Not sure if this is the right place for this post but I am getting this error when trying to access phpMyAdmin:

Welcome to phpMyAdmin

Error
MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user ‘{root}’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

I never set the root Username myself. Could someone tell me how to access the root username or how to change it… I have a password for mysql and I can access the command prompt just fine with it…if the USERNAME is not the issue please explain.

Thanks.

The root account is the one that you use to access the server that the database is stored on.

How are you trying to access PHPMySql? Via command line or web access.
What type of environment do you have? A linux box, a windows server, or a local windows server using wamp or variants there-of?

I am attempting to access phpmyAdmin through the web, using apache as the server. I have a Windows XP System on a PC

I downloaded the software myself (mysql, php, apache, phpmyadmin)

I receive an error when I type in the URL to access phpmyAdmin and it’s giving me this message:

#1045 - Access denied for user ‘{root}’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)

What configuration have you performed on phpMyAdmin since you installed it?

Using the sitepoint book Build Your Own…Chp 10…I’ve only gotten so far as to create the config.inc.php and attempted to open browser with localhost to phpmyAdmin. Then I received the err.

Ahh, so we’ll need someone who meets the following criteria in order to be able to help you:

[list][]has the book and has experienced the same trouble you have
[
]has the book and is willing to experiment on a clean install
[]is willing to get the book and to experiment on a clean install
[
]hasn’t got the book but can guess a solution for you
[/list]

You might want to try xampp or wamp, they should run fine out of the box, but a quick google brought up this http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-673-phpmyadmin-access-denied-for-user-root-localhost

You could also try the server forums, might seem like it, but not really a php prob.

.I’ve only gotten so far as to create the config.inc.php

now you have to edit this file, to add mysql username and password there

I did edit with my user name and password, with ‘root’ being the user. phpmyAdmin is not accepting either the localhost or the username.

I am assuming my password works fine because I am able to sign in to the Windows command prompt with it and work with mysql manually.

what exactly you write at command prompt?
and, also try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost