4……4………Branch……1.1

Table C
Id….Group….Desc………Cost
1……3………Plug……….1.9
2……4………Socket……2.8
3……4………Pin…………3.4
4……1………Needle……2.1

etc, etc

What I want to do is to pick out rows in each table by group number.
The group number may or may not exist in each table.
I don’t want to combine the tables into one large table so it would be easy as each table has numerous columns that are unique to that particular table.
I know this is an old subject, but I can’t find an answer here that fits my situation.
Any help or direction is appreciated.

Do a UNION of 15 SELECT statements…
Or take a look at supertype/subtype.

Thanks for the advice Guido2004
I tried UNION but it could not pick the data when a table had nothing to pick, except for the last table in list of SELECT statements.
In my example above tablec could have no data to pick and everything worksfine, it will pick from tablea and tableb, but if tablea or tableb had no data then it picks nothing even if the other tables have something to pick.

My codelooks like this

$result = mysql_query(“SELECT * FROM tablea WHERE group = $groupcodenum
UNION
SELECT * FROM tableb WHERE group = $groupcodenum
UNION
SELECT * FROM tablec WHERE group = $groupcodenum”)
or die(‘Error - Unable to pick from table data’);

Am I missing something ?

If the tables have different formats, don’t use the * in your SELECT statements, specify the columns you want to select. From your example in your first post, I understood that you only want four columns that are the same in each table.

Did you do some research on the supertype/subtype construction?

The four columns are the same in each table, they have the same names, it is subsequent columns in each table that vary.
I will try without the * and specify column names using the construction tablename.colname
Have been looking at supertype/subtype, but as this is first time I have looked at this subject I don’t fully get it at the moment - have you got a good link/ref that I can look at ?
Thanks for the help so far.

Ehm, nope :blush:
Let’s ask @r937;