Playing with PHP and ASP.NET

Hi guys,

I was playing with PHP and ASP.NET in the last days. In fact, Visual Web Developer 2010 Express is a great IDE. However, sometimes you feel that you are not a real programmer. Depending on dragging and dropping make you out of real programming box. Although you can switch to mark up (source) and type ASP.NET markup, but I hated the server controls and the run at=“server”. As they make the development quite easy in some aspects, they made some simple things quite complicated as well which make you feel confused and the time you spend in organising yourself inside this environment will make the PHP programmer cut the half way of reaching his goal.

With PHP you can feel the flexibility in controling your code. The sad point about PHP is the bad reputation of security and as I saw in many threads some say this is according to the bad practice of newbies. In some countries most universities websites and government websites have moved to ASP.NET not because of the fact that it is more secure (as some say) but I think because of the bad reputation of PHP out there.

To conclude, I would say that PHP was a good choice of start for me and I see that the security issue in PHP will make you learn about security beside PHP and leave you learn more than others so you can look at your code and developement from different perspectives. I think this is the longest thread I have written in sitepoint forum and I hope you share your ideas!

Cheers!

What gives PHP a bad reputation? It’s usually just bad programmers. :slight_smile:

In your head:
“Why is Microsoft Windows so full of viruses! I’m going to mac.”
Somewhere in the world:
“Hmmm… more people using macs. Alright, time to write a mac virus.”

You’re pulling some quite odd conclusions here.
Real programmer? What is that exactly?

Frameworks exist to ease the development. .NET does that in a great fashion - it eases up many things that are usually boring to type and rather trivial.
Code completion, hinting, forcing certain practices - that should be welcomed, not frowned upon.
Then again, as I suggested before in your “what language” thread(s) - if you want absolute control and absolute performance - nothing stops you from learning assembly. It will take ages to code something that’s trivial in other languages but hey, you will have the control and will feel like a “real” programmer.

In some countries most universities websites and government websites have moved to ASP.NET not because of the fact that it is more secure (as some say) but I think because of the bad reputation of PHP out there.

Do you have ANY source on this or are you purely speculating?

You have to bear in mind that if you are a large organization and if your business relies on certain program or programs - you WILL want to blame someone if your business suffers due to the hole in the program.
Hence, open source is frowned upon and large organizations will want to use software backed by known large companies.

I won’t bother to mention how many holes popular open source systems used to have or still have (PHPBB, Joomla, OSCommerce and so on).

The underlying problem here is not the language used to build something, it’s directly developers’ fault too.
However, that is not the fact that contributes to PHP’s “bad” reputation, it’s purely the fact it is open source and organizations dealing with large money sums aren’t exactly eager to take part in something that has no one to blame if **** hits the fan. There are big organizations using PHP for certain things, which proves the language is mature enough - however, that’s only a small fraction of big organizations out there.

blue,

Click on CS Dweeb’s username and look at his posts… more of the same inane baloney, over and over again, for years. Not sure why he persists in yanking people’s chains, but he does.

As I’ve said before… don’t feed the troll :wink:

blue,

Click on CS Dweeb’s username and look at his posts… more of the same inane baloney, over and over again, for years. Not sure why he persists in yanking people’s chains, but he does.

As I’ve said before… don’t feed the troll :wink:

Am I a trouble? :smiley: