Please dont do this to your site

On my iPad its like one out of every 10 sites adds this social plugin but forgot to learn css. stop i cant read your blog stupid!

I did not intentionally, just installed a Shoutbox and suddenly the video ads appeared - off to investigate and eliminate the cause :slight_smile:

I Dont get it?

I installed a Shoutbox script and an video advertiser used the script to install their own links which are outside of the Shoutbox and screw up the layout.

Shoutbox is now disabled all except for a single page to demonstrate the intrusive video ads:

<snip />

The above link shows in the left-hand column the following notification “Shoutbox removed because of abuse”..

The red notification appears on all pages except the following where the Shoutbox is enabled:

<snip />

I still don’t get it. Is that your site or something I referenced in the OP?

[FONT=verdana]Eric,

What exactly are you warning us against? You showed a screen shot of what looks like a total mess, but you didn’t say what is the particular thing is that we shouldn’t do on our own sites. If you have some specific advice, it would be useful to hear it.

Mike
[/FONT]

I thought it was pretty obvious. But I was referring to the position fixed social plugin. Depending on the users screen size (aka my ipad) the plugin follows me down on the left and sits over the text. Happens all the time.

[FONT=verdana]Thanks, Eric. It wan’t obvious to me because I saw the whole page as a total mess, and didn’t look at the detail. But I see now what you are getting at.

Mike
[/FONT]

Ya it was more of a “just venting” post than anything.

Hi Eric,

I am not associated with the site that you referenced in your original post.

I tried the site you mentioned in your original post on my my desktop and tablet, desktop worked fine until the browser was shrunk and then the page became similar to your original post:

Screen size greater than 800px

Screen size less than 800px

To try and clarify the confusion - recently I introduced a Shoutbox on a site that works for smartphones, tablets and desktops. Unfortunately a third-party advertiser abused the Shoutbox with their advert script using position:fixed . Their adverts completely screwed the CSS Responsive Design layout :frowning:

The links I posted showed a screen dump of the offending third-party adverts.

I think this thread should be moved to the CSS Forum.

Who ever it was who implemented that version of the display in the plugin obviously didn’t think things through properly. Fortunately the WordPress plugin that can produce that mess can be reconfigured to display small icons across the bottom of the post actually in the page instead of in front of it (which was the only way they were displayed prior to the “new” messy in your face version being introduced).

I don’t see what CSS has to do with configuration settings for a WordPress plugin.

I’ve seen this so often, people just install the plugin and thats it. I usually give up and don’t go back to the blog/site again. So it’s a good idea not to do this and upset your readers.

Lool wow thats pretty stupid! any of the social bottoms that move with the user I think is really annoying, it frustrates me why dont you just leave them in one place.

The plugin used to just display the icons as a row under each post. Then the plugin was updated to display them as a fixed bar in front of the content as shown in the first post. Everyone who kept the plugin up to date had their icons converted to that mess. Most people do not know enough about the settings available for the plugin to be able to change it back to the way they had it before the plugin was updated. I came close to uninstalling the plugin before I realised that the options were still there to revert back to having a small row of icons under each post. A lot of people using the plugin probably think that because the default was changed that the way it was changed to is the best way to display the icons (where in fact it is the worst).