Please help photoshop moron - locked layer impossible to unlock?

I am trying to edit a photoshop file that has a locked layer. When I double click on the padlock, it just says the layer is locked. I have tried duplicating the layer and deleting the original but this doesnt solve the problem.

So I wondered if its possible to export all of the layers EXCEPT the locked layer to a new psd file. Is this do-able?

How do I delete this ‘unlockable’ layer?

thanks

Jim

In the Layers palette, just above the list of layers, there are some small icons, including the lock icon. Highlight the locked layer (by clicking once on it) and then just click that lock icon at the top, and the layer will be unlocked. Does that help?

Thanks Ralph

The padlock is ‘greyed out’(?)

The padlock is grayed out because the layer is set to invisibility. Click on the empty checkbox field on the left (eye) and make it visible, then you can click on the padlock in the menu above your layers.

Thanks very much to both of you. I understand how to make it work now :slight_smile:

Much appreciated!!

Jim

No worries, 0ldfart. Glad we could help. I find that Ps can be especially vexing with things like this, so you are not alone. :slight_smile: