Please recommend CSS Books

While I’ve been recently using css for layout, I can’t seem to do it efficiently. In this attempt Ive ended up with clean HTML & ugly style sheets mostly done by trial & error.

Please recommend CSS Books specially for positioning & layout.

CSS for dummies is pretty good if you’re a beginner… in fact I find most of the books in the ‘for dummies’ series to be helpful and easy to understand.

The “For Dummies” books are okay, but there are better introductory books out there with more meat on their bones. (I haven’t looked at recent versions of the CSS and HTML for Dummies books, the revisions might be better.)

Ian Lloyd’s Build Your Own Web Site is the best “starter” book on the SP shelves. Outside of the SP marketplace, Alex Dawson’s [URL=“http://www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=9781430225171”]Getting Started Building Websites, the Head First Web Design and Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML books, all are very good.

I got “Cascading.Style.Sheets.The.Designers.Edge” , but I’m not happy with it, Most of the initial parts contain information about fonts, borders, backgrounds etc. But I never had a problem with those,
Then come the important chapters with positioning, but it doesn’t have the depth or details of how to layout a site cross browser / resized browser. Most of the examples in the book don’t help the problems I am currently facing in creating a css based layout.

I had a brief look at “CSS.The.Definitive.Guide”, but that book again is 80% or more focused on css for styling rather than layout. “The zen of CSS Design” , this book is again not what I need, It does not focus on the techniques to create a css layout.

Thanks for your posts above, Ill see if I can check out the books you mention.

This is a site that might provide you some help:

Web Standards – A Crash Course (Part 1)

There’s lots on this site, but the link is a good place to start.

Since you already have some grounding in HTML/CSS, you might not have the patience for the Head First books. They are for people who are coming in knowing nada.

Just try this free & practically useful resource - CSS - Smashing Magazine

Thanks for the links,
I got a look at topics in Smashing CSS by Eric Meyer. It looks to be what I need.

I think the best book I’ve read on CSS is

CSS-Mastery by Andy Budd.
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions: Amazon.co.uk: Andy Budd, Cameron Moll, Simon Collison: Books

It doesn’t have a huge ammount of css3/html5 but has a huge ammount of useful tips on on bugs, layout/structure of code and gotcha’s that a lot of short online tutorials don’t cover completely.

I too lack confidence in implementing layouts in CSS. I would like to find a good book/resource on it. It would not have to go into all the gory details of CSS, although if I get more into it then that would be good. I thought Smashing CSS looked promising, also maybe [URL=“http://www.amazon.com/CSS-Missing-David-Sawyer-McFarland/dp/0596802447/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305205550&sr=1-8”]CSS: The Missing Manual. Those two and [URL=“http://www.amazon.com/CSS-Definitive-Guide-Eric-Meyer/dp/0596527330/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305205593&sr=1-2”]CSS: The Definitive Guide were top results on Amazon. Any thoughts on these compared to each other or compared to the ones already mentioned?