Point-and-Shooter vs. SLR

I’ve had a P&S for the past few years (Canon Powershot S3 IS) and loved it, but it had its limitations. For Xmas I just got a Rebel XSi DSLR. Sure, I like the SLR better, but each camera has its use. I can’t bring my Rebel into a concert for instance.

It’s nice having one of each :slight_smile:

Use a prosumer bridge. It features a 35-300mm zoom lens (non-detachable of course) and so allows for maximum learning possibility without any trouble selecting lenses.

[FONT=“Georgia”]I read it and I still don’t know what is CHDK. What is CHDK?

Isn’t that what comes up when Windows crashes?

[/FONT]

CHDK is some software you can put on your memory card and when you turn the camera on it is loaded at the same time as the camera software.
You can then use the normal camera settings or in my case push the print button and you get another menu with a load more options.
The ones I was interested in were RAW and bracketing ( my camera does not have these as standard ).

You can get better video, histograms, indications of over or under exposed areas of the photo etc.

It is just like comparing McDonalds with a Home-Baked Meal. (P&S -vs- SLR).
There are some advantages of having the McDonalds, convenient, quick, small initial costs etc, but a home-baked meal gives you much better long-term advantages, better food and you can customise your “receipe” as required.

I’m hungry now, might go warm up the oven! :-}

[FONT=“Georgia”]Woah!

That sounds utterly badass!

[/FONT]

Whilst I have point and shooter – it’s only because I can’t justify the cost of an SLR – I’d loooove to have one.

SLR,
All the way. I shoot Weddings and youth sports.

Ryan the photo is of the Naracoorte Caves near Mt Gambier SA. I sped the ISO up to 3600 then propped myself against the cave wall. The thing that amazed me most is the small amount of noise.

SOme interesting post in this thread.

I use a power shot myself and I love it. It is not very compact but it takes very quality pictures inside and out. I have no complaints!!!:slight_smile:

Fitnow

I have a G10, very happy with it:

It doesn’t have the big sensor like an SLR, but gets close to having the same capabilities. You can even attach lenses to it. The portability of it is the only thing that stops me from getting an SLR, and the G10 fits in a smallish Lowepro case, which is great for going mountaineering and whatnot. The pictures are amazing quality, and that’s good enough for me.

I use an Olympus E-410, with 9-18mm wide angle, 50mm macro, 70-300mm telephoto, 14-42mm kit lens, EC-20 2x teleconverter and FL-36R flash.

Shooting with a SLR is not about the camera. I just picked any light camera that suits me for travel. Shooting with an SLR is all about the lenses you have.

There is just no way to take photos like I do with a P&S. 9mm wide angle gets me shots of buildings and incredible sky that you never even thought were possible to get in a single frame. 300mm telephoto gets me animals far away up close. The 50mm macro gets you so close to objects, you can reveal details that are invisible to the naked eye. With a SLR the sensor size is also larger allowing for sharper images with better contrast.

P&S has its uses. When I go out to party with friends, I’m not going to whip out my dSLR and start taking pictures. But its pretty much limited to that.

I’m a control freak so I only use SLR - I am on my 3rd (Nikon D2x) and looking to upgrade soon…

SLR all the way!

I recently got a bridge and I’m very satisfied with it. Sure I’ve seen what an SLR can do but for my purposes I find this camera takes excellent pictures (the 15x optical zoom is very nice) and it cost me way less than an SLR.

Aside I agree with whoever said the fake shutter sounds are really annoying, I turn off all sounds on mine.

Voted for SLR :blush:

[FONT=“Georgia”]Just thought I’d spam you guys with Sitepoint’s photography showcase thread for this month. The topic is Fire!

We had lots of great shots, SLR or no, last month in our Flowers thread.

Really good stuff everyone :tup:

[/FONT]