Pointing company name to keyword rich domain url for seo?

Hi so I have another quick question

I have a construction website.

But a lot of my competitors are using keyword domain names.

So instead of company.com its Coloradohandymanservice.com

So I am curious if this is a good seo strategy?

You make your company domain name point to a keyword rich domain name?

I do not want to get hit by any Google penalty

Thank you so much

There’s no Google penalty in doing that. But it’s a bit silly, IMHO. It may help the page rank (a teeny ween bit, maybe), but are people going to want to use a service that is clearly grovelling for search rankings? I always give preference to proper company names in URLs. It shows a bit of dignity and self respect.

SEO is highly overrated. It involves tiny, petty meddling with keywords, URLs etc, which is all hopeless small fry stuff. It’s the gunk on the shoe of internet marketing. If you are relying on the vagaries of internet searches, you are not running your business properly. Internet traffic and search results are too fickle and unreliable. Put your main efforts into making connections, meeting people, and generally adding value, both in public and online—such as speaking, writing good articles and blog posts etc.

And stop worrying so much about Google penalties. Google is not Big Brother. If you are a reasonable person behaving reasonably, you won’t have a problem. They are only out to thwart selfish people who try to game the system.

Thank you again.

See what happened is in 2011 I paid for an SEO to help with my website, 6 months ago I fell off of the search engine earth. I had over 5000 bad backlinks with many spammy link profiles.

Now I am down to 500 ok to decent links with a few bad spammy links left. I never got a manual action penalty, but always concerned as I am trying to get over an algorithm penalty.

So I am VERY grateful and blessed to have the help of people like you. I am trying to do things right, myself, this time.

Yes, as far as I’m concerned, if someone offers “SEO services”, run for your life. They are basically advertising that they don’t know what they are doing. They promise great rankings on a very dodgy basis. They tend to mess with page titles and dodgy keyword stuffing and other such things without adding any real value to the site. Many of them know nothing about web design and are just out for a quick buck. They use cookie cutter templates that they don’t even understand, doing SEO part time alongside selling weight loss packages and anything else that will make a quick buck. It’s an absolute joke, but sucks in more people than you’d believe. Even when I inoculate clients against this sort of thing they still get sucked in. It drives me crazy.

I’m not saying there aren’t legitimate SEO services out there, but if they don’t talk about internet marketing as a whole—which includes quality content, social media, blogging, social engagement of various kinds etc.—then they are wasting your time and money. To put it another way, if they are cheap, they are also nasty.