Pop-ups, why not use them?

Popups are blocked by default in my browser and where I do allow them they are set to open in place of the original page in the same browser tab. The only ones I generally allow are the ones from Sitepoint telling me I have a private message and since I find it annoying that a site should want to open a new page from that same site in a separate window I have it set to override the suggestion and replace the prior page instead.

As pop-ups are blocked by default on my browser, I very rarely get unwanted pop-ups. When I do happen to chance upon a pop-up, then I’m fine with it as long as the pop-up is directly linked to the action I called and not merely related content, as anything could be labeled as such.

For example, If I am on a page and click on a contact link and am presented a pop-up window containing the form I need to fill in, then I actually prefer that to being sent to a different page. If I click on a link contained within, say, a book review and then get a pop-up that displays books with related content I can buy, then I’m not all that keen about it, simply because that isn’t the information I asked for.

I don’t have Javascript disabled and generally like being a witness to clever implementations developers/designers come up with, so I’d be a fool to browse without JS on my computer. If a pop-up implementation is simply well done and absolutely practical, then I’m fine with it. With that said, I realize that a JS pop-up with no fallback method can be an unwise design decision, depending on context.

I can honestly say I’ve never signed up for or clicked on anything in an uninvited popup.

Browsers do not block images, cookies, or JS default, but they do block popups by default. I take that as a very strong sign that the web browsing community has had enough of popups - and rightly so after they have been used in so many annoying ways by advertising networks.

If a popup is necessary, I would only expect that it come as the direct result of a mouseclick and is not auto-launched when a page loads. However, as The Raptor said, many browsers handle them differently in tabs and with some pretty ugly results. I spend a great deal of time on my Android tablet. Pop-ups fail pretty bad on that…lightboxes do not.

So you’ve never clicked on the content of a popup because the offer interested you? Never signed up for a newsletter or anything?

I find popups quite handy in certain situations. Say you are filling in a form and don’t understand what to put in that field. Sometimes there’s a link to click for more info, and it pops up over the page. I prefer this to being taken to another page, and possibly losing any data you’ve already entered.

The main problem I see with popups is that they can easily be very inaccessible for some users. How does a blind person with a screen reader access the info in a popup, for example? I’m not saying they can’t, as perhaps they can, but I think it’s worth knowing what people in that situation will experience. What about someone using just a keyboard? Will they be able to get to the popup box to close it, or will it b stuck over the top of the page?

These are issues worth considering, and they don’t seem to be easy ones to solve well. I know plenty of people who just don’t care about these issues, but surely to face them is to strive to do a job well; and one day, if these folks find themselves temporarily or permanently handicapped, they might suddenly start to care very much. It’s a shame when that’s what it takes for people to give a damn, though.

To address your first question, there are a handful sites I know of that do use three popups (some more then that). Netflix is a classic example. Most don’t though because it’s extremely counterintuitive.

If I’m visiting your site, I am interested in your content so I don’t have a problem with some Adsense ads or even a full fledged ad, what I do have a problem with is uninvited popups. I think my main gripe is that first, they pop up in my face (99.9% of the time, it’s something I’m not interested in), then I have to take the time to close each popup. And for me that is an annoying waste of my time and alone is enough to throw me over the edge and cause me to close the site.

There is hardly ever a reason to use them, when there are so many good lightbox solutions and the like out there.

[ot]

Thanks! I see you’ve won one as well. We must be doing something right. :)[/ot]

I’ll start with the easy answer. Most, if not all, modern browsers have implemented a feature to block them from being displayed. Why would you employ a technique to display content that you’re not even sure the visitor will see?

First of all, who would use three popups? Not many people would, so your hypothetical situation is actually quite unlikely to occur. But, it does raise the interesting question of what content that ‘you never asked for’ might be there and isn’t a problem for you? for example, Adsense ads may be on the site, you didn’t ask for them but you probably don’t mind them as much as a popup so what’s the difference? Is it that you physically have to move the mouse to close a popup?

Btw, congrats on your MoM :slight_smile:

To get the attention of the visitors who CAN see it. Browsers can block images, Jave Script, Direct X, cookies, and a whole bunch of other stuff so you can never be sure that all your visitors are seeing the same thing anyway. Why then should you regard popups any differently from all the other content that browsers can block?

And if not blocked, there is the issue of tabs. Some browsers are choosing to open popups in tabs rather then new windows.

But, the main issue with them is that they are extremely rude… I’m browsing a site and lets say I’m reading some content and three popups fly in my face, all of which I never asked for. My immediate action is to exit that site, never to return.

I tried this once. It was an unpleasant experience.

Lightboxes are probably the new pop-ups. While I agree that when they are prompted (e.g. image gallery, et al) I’m quite happy to use them. When I land on a page and as soon as I interact with it, a modal lightbox pops up and offers me something retarded I want to scream at the idiots who decided that every user on the site needed to have their experience screwed up.

I’m with Stomme Poes on this one, next time I see an uninvited Lightbox or popup I’m going to email them (and link them to this thread ;)).

I’m also hanging out for ARIA roles to actually work better so that we might script our web applications nicely (and have modals be modals, etc.)

On to browser popups. User confusion and valid use-cases aside…

It irks me, being brought to a new (popup) window for functionality that can be inside of the webpage. Argh.

Popups are right up their with target=“_blank” for all external links as one of my pet peeves. (Clients reaaally hate the possibility of someone leaving their site. Dear clients, It’s called a back button :mad:).Taking the choice of the next action away from users is bad, it makes me sad (and sometimes mad).

I feel like I’m ranting and not making too much sense. So I’m going to stop now :goof: