Possible to have a transparent gradient image or css?

They have recently implemented that, so IE6/7 will update to 8 unless people stop it.

Photoshop is mainly for editing photos and working with pixels. Illustrator is more of a vector program, drawing images with lines that can be scaled easily (in a way that pixels can’t). InDesign is for page layouts (mainly for print documents, from single pages to complete books). It’s kind of like Word on steroids.

So they each have quite different purposes. The only real overlap that I know of is that you could design a single print page in any one of the three … but that’s about it.

Ralph,

Thanks a bunch. That’s spelled out plainly enough for even me. LOL! I’ve been using PowerPoint to play around with fonts, create logos, etc, but I’m ready to do a bit more. So it sounds like Photoshop is what I’m looking for, then.

Thanks for such a quick response.

What you’ve done right there is what is commonly called post-jacking.

I don’t know about here at SPF (as I’m relatively new as well), but in general forum etiquette, it’s heavily frowned-upon. You should really just create a new thread.

Here’s my take:

Photoshop:
Photo editing and graphic manipulation. Although Photoshop can do so, so, so much more.

Illustrator:
Vector graphic creation. I guess that’s the best way to describe it…I don’t know how else to. It’s definitely not used for photo/graphic manipulation. Look up vector v. bitmap if you’re confused or create a thread.

InDesign:
InDesign is used to create magazines and such. I wouldn’t say it’s so much as Word on steroids as Word with extended capabilities. InDesign is used to create (like I said) magazines. Therefore, it has greater flexibility in terms of layouts, tools, fonts, etc. It’s like the difference b/w Win and Mac (which isn’t, probably, a good topic to bring up in any post). Mac is more user-friendly (the Word equivalent in this analogy), whereas Windows (the InDesign) is for power-users who want to be able to do more but suffer the cost of usability and everyday use. That isn’t to comment on any aspect of the quality of MacOS or Windows.

Really, InDesign is the odd-one-out as it’s a word processing system. You should really be asking “What’s the difference between Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, and Fireworks?” which is an entirely different question. Just don’t get into the Flash Professional/Catalyst/Builder question. Ugh. :slight_smile:

~TehYoyo

Oh, and welcome!

Note: Just saw your post about Photoshop. Be warned that it’s a hefty $700.

TeyYoyo,

Thank you very much for the info. I’ll do some research to compare Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, and Fireworks. Thanks for the tip.

And I do apologize to all of you for the post-jacking. Please pardon me.

Don’t worry about it. (And sure, no problem)

We all learn sometime.

~TehYoyo