Post Pictures of the Specialty Dish of Your City/Region

2 Likes

Yes, with the dog. Fugly shoes, but they were comfortable.

Hushpuppies as food is basically deep fried cornbread. They take corn bread batter, roll it into balls and deep fry them. The really good ones are usually deep fried in the same oil as some of the seafood, so that taste gets into them as well. Totally unhealthy, but mighty tasty.

edit: Ninja’d by bat bird! Curse you bat bird!

2 Likes

I had cornbread when I visited California and I loved that, so hushpuppies sound pretty good.

Yup… “STL style BBQ” primarily means that the meat is grilled over direct heat (as opposed to indirect heat) and slathered in sauce (as opposed to dry-rubbed.)

:slight_smile:

Just want to add to this. The batter used in Southern Style Fried Catfish batter is cornmeal based and are not at all fluffy like English Style fish. So hushpuppies are kinda fluffy cornbread and work really well with it.

2 Likes

Wow. Can’t imagine eating chips (they’re like French fries, right?) between two slices of bread :expressionless: and yes the second pic is kinda strange :smiley:

1 Like

You’re already in cuisine heaven. Cajun seasonings, are like, super spicy right? Perfect for Friday nights and strong beer.

That looks great :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, but they are generally thicker (so slightly healthier, lower fat to potato ratio). You can taste the potato more too, and they are less greasy (if done right). The Brits call what the US call Chips, Crisps (because they are crispy!!).

2 Likes

No pics of local cuisine ATM, but I will attest that some of the tastiest food I’ve ever eaten was during my time in the Lake Charles / Sulphur area years ago.

And inexpensive too. crawfish (and crabs) free for the taking from the edge of a levee using nothing but a net bag and some garbage on a string. A bunch of rice and a bit of roux with whatever spices were on hand. Yummm!

The only thing I never got the hang of cooking was okra so it wasn’t sickeningly mucilaginous. But hey, I am a Yankee.

(and gar looked bizarre, but tasted great)

That’s right, in the UK chips are potato sliced into cuboid lengths and deep fried. Fast food chains sell things called “Fries”, which are similar, but I believe made from re-constituted potato pulp and most likely laced with all sorts of chemical nonsense.

That one does look good. Cajun seasoning I believe (coming from a Brit) is Garlic, Thyme, Salt, Black Pepper and Chilli, or at least that’s how I do it. Very nice.
Being in Lincolnshire, I think that the best known local food produce would be the Lincolnshire Sausage. I don’t have a picture, so here’s a Wiki link:

For best results, get them from a proper butcher.
RT already mentioned Fish & Chips, which is of course a national favourite in the UK. Me being more specifically in North Lincolnshire, the Humber Region was, back in the day the Fish Centre of the Universe, with the ports of Grimsby and Hull. Those fleets have now sadly depleted to virtually nothing.

I’m rather disappointed and saddened that the UK fish n chip shops no longer wrap their delicious fare in newspaper. That, for me, was the ultimate experience when I visited, back in '98. A LARGE fillet of breaded, deep-fried goodness, nested in a loving bed of chips, all doused in malt vinegar and wrapped in the local newspaper.

V/r,

They are not allowed any more due to food hygiene rules. The Nanny State in action.

That was always fun when you were on holiday, and you got to read the local news with your fish supper.

1 Like

http://www.skylinechili.com/images/ways.jpg

Spaghetti, chili, cheese.

Seems to be the most city-esque thing around here is the chili, specifically, Skyline.

I don’t care for it all that much but there you go.

I heard that that was a Cincinnati thing. Chili and cheese on spaghetti. I’d love to try it, but only if the chili doesn’t have beans. I’m allergic.

That’s an odd allergy o_O

Most good chili has beans in it. I can’t remember Skyline’s, in particular though. It might not?

1 Like

Purely subjective. And I believe that the original recipe did not have beans in it; the beans were added, later. Not sure who started that - I think it was cowboys trying to add bulk so they wouldn’t use a whole lot of meat, when they were out in the desert. Is there a nutritional anthropologist in the house?

V/r,

They aren’t that spicy, but they can’t be. I don’t live Louisiana, just close by and don’t really visit that often… so it may be spicier if you actually live there. But in my experience, Cajun spices are just very flavorful and not really that hot.

The spiciest food I’ve eaten in the US has come from Santa Fe. I have to say, while Cajun food is amazing, everything in Santa Fe is better than the rest of the country. Even their fast food tastes better than some fancy restaurants I’ve eaten in other places. The restaurants there have a lot of special Santa Fe only recipes too. So if you’re ever near that area…

And they put green chili on EVERYTHING, and it’s good. It’s so popular, it’s even at fast food places. It’s like a roasted green chili that’s been stewed and made into some sort of sauce. I’ve never been able to find it outside of Santa Fe and Albuquerque. I can’t even hardly find pictures or recipes for it. But, here is some on a burger:

Maybe someone from New Mexico can chime in. I’ve only visited.

I was once served Spaghetti Sauce on Rice when they ran out of noodles. I took a bite thinking it might work… it did not work. It absolutely did not work at all.

I’m not sure if I would like this chili cheese spaghetti stuff.

Chilli and Rice is good though, and what @jeffreylees posted was Chili and Spaghetti, which actually works pretty well considering, it is Chili and not Spaghetti sauce.