Post quote notifications

Is there an option in user settings that can disable the post quote notifications?

I looked, but could not find one. It is pointless to be notified of quotes; secondly, it is a little bit annoying to see the notification count driven up by this forum’s pandemic of quotitis!

Could this option be added?

I’m not sure if you can turn it off, but I’m also not sure what other function the notifications button has, other than indicating that someone has mentioned you … though the two things are distinguished anyway. I occasionally check to see if there have been any mentions, but just ignore the quotes bit. Why not just ignore it if you don’t find it useful? Or have you found it has another purpose as well? (I may have just overlooked other uses it has, which I often do!)

No, I’m not aware of any other purpose for it, either. I just get a little bit annoyed when I’m given a notification, which might conceivably be important (otherwise, what would the point be), and it turns out to be irrelevant. Ignoring it is certainly a good suggestion but easier said than done: it’s not in my nature, unfortunately. :wink:

What does irrelevant mean? It’s a notification that you’ve been quoted—in other words, someone has replied to something you’ve said. I guess if you don’t care about that, then just ignore the notification. It is basically a duplication of the My SitePoint list of subscribed threads with new answers, so kind of redundant from that point of view. But perhaps someone is only interested in replies where they’ve been quoted. :slight_smile:

That’s what I meant: it’s a duplication of a function that works better.

Besides Quotes and Mentions it also indicates PM (and it would VM too, if they were active).

Most you would find anyway when you visited your UCP if you subscribe to threads you post in. But you would most likely miss the Mentions without the Notification.

mentions… i live for mentions…

what’s a VM?

A Visitor Message that you see on your profile page: