Potential client wants shift from other developer to me. Current domain transfer?

I have a potential client that wants to get a new website for his business. He has an existing website with another developer that he doesn’t want to continue with. His previous developer is the one that registered his domain name under his own (the developers) name. Now if I was to take over, how do I go about getting that domain name and the email address with that domain name back?

Also, I’m new to this email address thing. How do you get an email like the one he already has i.e something like info@mycompany.com instead of mycompany@gmail.com and how much do you generally have to pay for that?

Ideally your client needs to get the domain registrant details updated so they are correct, this include the admin and technical details as well. Once that is done they should then have control over the domain. All decent developers will just do this but some developers will make life difficult - suggest you tell you client to ask the other developer to hand control of the the domain and see how it goes.

For email addresses you can set these up inside the web hosting control panel.

Well as the domains are in the previous developers name, first of all you need to have them update the domain records with client data. Once that is done, the client becomes the owner of the domain and then you could move or modify records on the domain. This is the basic mistake most clients make while getting their domains. They allow the developer to register it in their name but if they wish to move on, it is not possible because legally the developer is the holder of the domain. Good developers do not mind modify / transferring the domains, but I have dealt with many developers who would not agree to do so unless some extra money was paid to them. For one domain, I had to wait for almost 2 years because the previous developer kept registering it for 2 years but then got tired and released the domain, at that point I got back the domain for the other client, till then I used a different TLD for the client. First ask the client to check with the previous developer and if they dont ask for too much money, best to get it from them by paying the extra cost.

My hunch is that the developer has his own domain name account with probably 50 client domains in that account. He’s probably not going to just go in and change account records for you to login to it. The ethical thing to do is tell your client you will “rescue” the domain name (for a fee) and get the domain name into an account setup just for the client so that they will never have to worry about domain name ownership again. Then request the developer to “unlock” and “release” the domain name and look for a “transfer request” to come into his or her email. Even if the developer makes it easy for you, be ready to spend 5-8 hours by the time it’s all said and done to really have control of this domain name. And that’s a chargeable service I feel.

Hi,

First of all get control of the domain, rest things can be taken care of later.

Regd
<snip/>

Aditionally, if you get any problem, taking that domain from registrar you can always go to higher authority appropriate for you country TLD