Preemptive Use of Google's Disavow Tool

For general directories that we never asked to be listed on… is it a good idea to use the disavow tool for these types of links even if we haven’t received any kind of penalty from Google?

The author of this article (http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2260344/Racing-Penguin-How-to-Attack-Unnatural-Links-Before-Penguin-Hits-Case-Study) seems to think so… assuming your efforts to remove the link fail.

I have heard a lot of people say otherwise, but I have never seen the disavow tool actually increase a site’s rankings.

I may be wrong, but I personally think it is just a way for Google to get people to tell on link farms and blog networks.

I have no evidence to support this.

You worry too much I still use directory submission.

General or niche I still submit to them, I use a software to do it quickly and easily :slight_smile: They’re great free one way links, what’s wrong with that?
If we had to remove all links that aren’t “natural” we’ll spend all that at Google.com webmaster tools hehe

99.9% of cases you don’t have to use that disallow tool, only if there’s someone who hates you and start using black hat or doing nasty stuff u use that. Actually I suggest u don’t visit matt’s blog altogether :slight_smile:

Can you please show me 1 website that is currently ranking in the top 3 of Google for ANY keyword, even the name of the site, using this strategy?

Why would anyone who wants to remain up-to-date on the future of SEO choose to completely ignore the public blog of the head of Google’s Web Spam Team?

I hope everyone reading this thread is intelligent enough to understand why this is a foolish comment.

[FONT=verdana]Google has said quite clearly many times: There is no point in using the Disavow Tool unless you have received an “unnatural links” message from Google. If you haven’t, then using the tool won’t do any harm, but it won’t do any good either.

Mike[/FONT]

I am astounded at the amount of bad advice that is given to people asking about backlinks and the disavow tool.

I went to the BrightonSEO conference on Friday (The big one in the UK) and here is the message that was being put across time and time again:

Don’t link build unless you are very careful to create only natural links that real people will actually follow. Google have already blacklisted 100’s of high profile websites because of poor backlinking and the news in the underworld is they are going to crack down on directory farming and splogging next.

Using the Disavow tool can do you no harm, unless you disavow a popular link that people actually use. If the link doesn’t generate any traffic, then the disavow tool will have no ill effects.

This is the most truthful piece of advice I’ve ever heard:
“Links don’t get you traffic. Good content gets you traffic, which in turn gets you links”
I know that’s not very helpful to someone just starting out, but it’ll save you a lot of time in the long run just to concentrate on good unique content.

I thought it may give you an answer or at least interest you: How to Use Google’s Disavow Links Tool the Right Way