Prevent Video Download

Hi All

I have upload some videos on my web site. i want to prevent download these videos. user can able to view but cant download. How to do this please
help me any one

Thanks in advance

Short answer: you can’t.

You can put up various barriers, but it won’t stop them completely. Any thing they can view or hear, they can capture, because that data made it to their computer. With a simple browser plugin, I could go download just about any video I wanted.

I recommend you put the videos and a video player and don’t spend too much time trying to prevent them from downloading… because it’ll be wasted time with disappointing results.

If a user cannot download then they cannot view it. No way around that.

The most simple way that tutorial sites do it is generate a random key that’s associated with the URL that can only be used for a maximum of say 10 minutes, the key would be stored in the database along with the IP of the user that the link was generated for. The next thing to do would be to use a simple helper function to find the video based on the key and use PHP to set the header type for the specific extension, of course if the user is smart enough they can download the video still while the link is still active but using an auto generated key gives you a much better chance of protecting your videos.

Instead of falling into the trap of considering any pilfered copies as “pirated” and “stolen” consider them “advertising.” If your site is continually generating new content people are going to want that new content and your site will be the only reliable way to get it. Putting DRM on your videos is possible, but hideously expensive. You’ll need to develop custom mobile device aps since Apple doesn’t allow Flash, and flash’s ability to protect downloaded video is dubious. Multibillion dollar companies spend millions of dollars over the course of years to develop systems that get cracked in weeks or days. That’s just life. As rock artist Neil Young said, the Internet is radio - advertising - and should be treated as such.

By own experience, I say, there’s possibility. Even the safest way you can find (stream) or random keys can be captured on the fly.

If it is possible to see, it is possible to have, when it comes to image/video on internet

or even just accessibility – I often download Youtube videos instead of watching them on the site just so if I have a dip in bandwidth the stupid thing doesn’t stutter or stop every few seconds. (really true if I want to watch a 720p or higher stream on YT or other sites… funny though that I don’t have that issue with Hulu though :smiley: )

One of the best ways to deal with it – especially in terms of making ‘stolen’ vids be advertising, is to just watermark them.

As others have said, there is NO protecting content you put up on the Internet from copying that’s going to last more than a week. Hell, browsers like Opera you just ‘view cache’ and poof, it’s there and ready to save… usually even the streaming ones that are supposed to be ‘protected’.

You don’t want people copying it, don’t put it online. As the old security joke goes, the only secure system is one with zero access.